Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Munich Malt  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
Munich Malt
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:46:41 AM »
I've never brewed with munich malt, and am planning on doing so possibly next week once I'm back from Moncton. I know that it will add to the maltyness of the beer, which I want, but how much should I use (say as a grain bill percentage) to have an impact?

I know I can use up to 100% munich as a my base grain but I only have a limited amount of pounds, so I'd like to stretch it to at least 3 or 4 batches minimum. Would 10 or 20% of the grain bill have a good impact on the maltyness assuming I'm using mostly 2-row? ... maybe a bit of crystal or another specialty grain in there as well I'd assume.

I'm thinkin I have 10 pounds of light and 10 pounds of dark munich malt. Just thinkin of adding some to a standard ale, nothing too bitter.
President of the NBCBA

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: Munich Malt
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
I notice an impact at about 5% of the grain bill, but I often combine it with Vienna.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
I used one pound (9.5%) in my fall ale, 9# of 2-row and half a pound c40 - I noticed a substantial difference between that and the LSA recipe - a lot more malty (nice) - although we did devour it quite soon after kegging - I expect it would have mellowed out after a few weeks...

I have 2# in the Rhymun ale as well - I think its noticable but it mixes nice with Caramunich and Rye... that's almost 18%... from the recipes I've seen, Munich seems to be used most commonly in the 0.5 to 2 or 3 # range...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »
Ah niceee. I notice that the light munich and dark munich that I ordered look nearly the same colour. Not a whole lot of difference. You can really tell the difference between light and dark crystal malts, but I found it strange that light and dark munich appeared to be alomost the same colour.
Is there much difference between the two when it comes to colour and flavour?
President of the NBCBA

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 01:56:07 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing myself - haven't used the dark yet, but soon!
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:58:11 PM »
The stuff I'm using is the light stuff, I assume. It doesn't actually specify light/dark (hell/dunkel) on the bag.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 02:18:46 PM »
The Weyermann Munich we get is listed as Type I or Type II (light or dark I think...)
NBCBA Treasurer