Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yeast: Liquid vs Dry  (Read 5296 times)

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
Re: Yeast: Liquid vs Dry
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 01:08:14 PM »
In Jamil's yeast book (pg 146), he says that the best thing for the yeast is to rehydrate it in 10 times its weight of 41ºC tap water for 15 minutes.  This will help the viability of the yeast and reduce lag times.

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »
It also breaks through any sanitiser foam that might be in the way, if it's hydrated. The dry stuff will sit atop bubbles in gobs, and acts like flour does when it meets hot water.

Rehydrating I usually get <8 hours lag - otherwise it can be 24. Have to admit, I'm lazy sometimes though.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
Quote from: "ChrisCraig"
In Jamil's yeast book (pg 146), he says that the best thing for the yeast is to rehydrate it in 10 times its weight of 41ºC tap water for 15 minutes.  This will help the viability of the yeast and reduce lag times.

Seriously, 41C water?  I figured that would harm the yeast.

I agree, hydrating the yeast allows it to mix in the wort right away as opposed to sitting on foam for hours.  This is especially the case with my conical fermenter, which has a 3.8" opening at the top.  Dump 5 packs of yeast in that hole and you have a big yeast ball.

I've also been pitching yeast with a wort temp of 21C, and let the wort drop to 16C on it's own.  Fermentation kicks off in roughly 8 hours.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline sdixon

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 04:57:11 PM »
I have not done any direct comparisons between similar dry and liquid yeast strains, but I will say that if there were more slection of dry yeast, I would use them. I have had great success with S-05 and T-58. If I could get similar results for other strains (Farmhouse/Saison, multiple Belgian Strains, Brettanomyces, etc) I would certainly be trying them.
"Good people drink good beer"
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
My understanding is that only some strains are able to withstand drying, however technology may improve...
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.