Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's Pouring?  (Read 5658 times)

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
What's Pouring?
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »
Thought we could have a thread like 'What's Brewing?' but for commercial beer.

You can talk about something you picked up from a liquor store and are pouring at home or something you had at a pub or brewery.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
Re: What's Pouring?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 12:03:31 PM »
I'll start it out;

I'm still pretending its summer so I've been enjoying a lot of session beers. I really liked Yada Yada and Fuzzy Bubbles from Trailway. I love big giant hoppy beers but every once in awhile I love a hoppy lager or session beer.

Has anyone tried anything from Valonray yet? I saw they have a farmhouse with wild yeast but I was hesitant to spend the $12 on a bottle until I knew a little more about what I was getting into.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
My wife and I stopped in Amherst last weekend to check out Trider's brewing. It's out in the industrial park there, but the beer was very good. Super friendly and knowledgeable staff, the guy took us on a tour of the brewery and was generally great to chat with. They have what looks like a 10 barrel DME system, but the fermenters are small- I'd guess 5 barrel or less.

They had a variety of styles, but seemed to be mostly european styles. Each beer was clean.

They had a Coffee Blonde (White Stout) which was very good. They steep whole coffee beans in the fermenter. This was the highlight for me. Their ESB, amber and honey brown were also very good.

Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »
Yeah, that Coffee Blonde was interesting and generated alot of buzz at the Fred Craft Beer Fest last March.
I also, liked that brewery very much.

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 10:15:46 AM »
Has anybody tried the Moosehead Ten Penny beers yet? https://www.anbl.com/moosehead-small-batch-ten-penny-ale-473ml-32354

Unless someone tells me they're horrible, I'll probably give it a shot at some point - just for kicks.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
My wife and I stopped in Amherst last weekend to check out Trider's brewing. It's out in the industrial park there, but the beer was very good. Super friendly and knowledgeable staff, the guy took us on a tour of the brewery and was generally great to chat with. They have what looks like a 10 barrel DME system, but the fermenters are small- I'd guess 5 barrel or less.

They had a variety of styles, but seemed to be mostly european styles. Each beer was clean.

They had a Coffee Blonde (White Stout) which was very good. They steep whole coffee beans in the fermenter. This was the highlight for me. Their ESB, amber and honey brown were also very good.

I remember seeing DME posting about setting them up, it looked like a cool little set up.

I'm pretty sure I had the coffee blonde somewhere and if its the one I'm thinking of it was really, really good.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 10:52:42 AM »
Yeah, that Coffee Blonde was interesting and generated alot of buzz at the Fred Craft Beer Fest last March.
I also, liked that brewery very much.

I knew I'd tried it somewhere! That was it!

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 10:59:13 AM »
@feldmann Tried your Swift Currant last night. Very nice. I think I had the first one a while back.  :(

I have several milk crates of bottles and going through my bottles and finding stuff.

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 12:20:16 PM »
not pouring but what I'll be pouring eventually. Yesterday I scored an old bottle of Unibroue Quelque Chose with cherries. Best before 04-1997  8)

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 01:06:23 PM »
@feldmann Tried your Swift Currant last night. Very nice. I think I had the first one a while back.  :(

I have several milk crates of bottles and going through my bottles and finding stuff.

Nice! Was there still any currant flavour or did it fade away? I've been doing the same with my bottles as well, its amazing what I found tucked away that I didn't know I had.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 01:07:28 PM »
not pouring but what I'll be pouring eventually. Yesterday I scored an old bottle of Unibroue Quelque Chose with cherries. Best before 04-1997  8)

Wow! Where did you find that?

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »

Wow! Where did you find that?
of all the places, in a garage sale in grand falls. Best of all I got it for free  :banana:

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »

Nice! Was there still any currant flavour or did it fade away? I've been doing the same with my bottles as well, its amazing what I found tucked away that I didn't know I had.

@feldmann it was great. Good pop when opening. Good head, great taste. Still fruity currant taste. It was a nice find.
Also had a stout from @Two Wheeler which was pleasant as well.

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 08:44:14 AM »
Has anybody tried the Moosehead Ten Penny beers yet? https://www.anbl.com/moosehead-small-batch-ten-penny-ale-473ml-32354

Unless someone tells me they're horrible, I'll probably give it a shot at some point - just for kicks.
I grabbed a growler of it. It was growler #2 so I only remember not hating it. I'll probably grab a can of it sometime just to verify.
Lee

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »

After some research, turns out:
-it was there first ever release of it and it was in 1996
-the beer is a blend of Unibroue and a Belgian beer, possibly Liefmans
-Unibroue suggested drinking this beer between between 30C and 70C (hence the 70/30 on the bottle)