Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's Brewing?  (Read 143835 times)

Offline Powers30

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: What's Brewing?
« Reply #405 on: August 30, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
He makes a good point. I was wondering the same about how much coffee to use. This will have a nice little hop punch that should come through with the coffee, however. The last thing I want to do is brew a cold coffee.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #406 on: August 30, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »
He makes a good point. I was wondering the same about how much coffee to use. This will have a nice little hop punch that should come through with the coffee, however. The last thing I want to do is brew a cold coffee.

@feldmann is right. Especially for a black IPA version, I would say its even more important to use a freshly roasted bean. I would go to Paradise Imports, in back they have a roaster (Jonnie Java coincidentally), ask him to recommend a lightly roasted bean with fruit and/or citrus character. I think the amarillo is a good choice, I personally like some citrus hop character in a black IPA and I think that would work well with a properly selected coffee bean. So I would be inclined to sub out the simcoe for something like centennial. Otherwise the recipe looks pretty solid.

Lastly, I wouldn't add 16oz of coffee, especially if bottling (not sure if you are), best results (in my experience) has been making a cold brew coffee, you don't need a lot of water. Even 6-8oz is more than enough for a 24 hours steep in the fridge with coarsely ground beans.

Let us know how this turn out. Sounds tasty,  :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:24:09 AM by robcoombs »

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #407 on: August 31, 2017, 08:09:54 AM »

@feldmann is right. Especially for a black IPA version, I would say its even more important to use a freshly roasted bean. I would go to Paradise Imports, in back they have a roaster (Jonnie Java coincidentally), ask him to recommend a lightly roasted bean with fruit and/or citrus character. I think the amarillo is a good choice, I personally like some citrus hop character in a black IPA and I think that would work well with a properly selected coffee bean. So I would be inclined to sub out the simcoe for something like centennial. Otherwise the recipe looks pretty solid.

Lastly, I wouldn't add 16oz of coffee, especially if bottling (not sure if you are), best results (in my experience) has been making a cold brew coffee, you don't need a lot of water. Even 6-8oz is more than enough for a 24 hours steep in the fridge with coarsely ground beans.

Let us know how this turn out. Sounds tasty,  :cheers:

I remembered last night your crystal addition...it may be a bit heavy if you're trying to get flavour from coffee and hops. If you really want those flavours to shine through a little more I would cut the crystal in half, or even leave it out entirely.

Offline Powers30

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: August 31, 2017, 08:59:44 AM »
Thanks Rob for your thoughts on it. Yes, the name is not by mistake. I've been going to John and Nancy's for years now. We're spoiled to have them here in the city.

I'm going to be pulling a double shot of espresso and then adding cold water. I will be putting it into the keg vs bottling.

I was thinking the same about the crystal malt. Rob, you increase any other grain in place of decreasing the crystal malt?

PS here's the logo for the beer.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #409 on: August 31, 2017, 09:30:08 AM »
Thanks Rob for your thoughts on it. Yes, the name is not by mistake. I've been going to John and Nancy's for years now. We're spoiled to have them here in the city.

I'm going to be pulling a double shot of espresso and then adding cold water. I will be putting it into the keg vs bottling.

I was thinking the same about the crystal malt. Rob, you increase any other grain in place of decreasing the crystal malt?

PS here's the logo for the beer.

It is a light crystal so you could just drop it to about 2%, I would leave it out entirely but I'm a crystal hater in anything hoppy.

Offline Powers30

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
« Reply #410 on: August 31, 2017, 10:46:36 AM »
 Awesome. Thanks for the input on this. I will report back on how the brew day unfolded. 

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #411 on: August 31, 2017, 03:56:25 PM »
Last Monday (during the eclipse) I had a chance to brew something interesting...
 I brewed a Russian Imperial stout using 50lbs of grain split between two mash tuns. I used the first runnings from both for the RIS and the second runnings to make a brown ale. I had a buddy help me outside with the brown ale and I made the RIS inside. So it was a simultaneous double brew day. I'm gonna call the RIS Eclipse Imperial Stout OG was 1.095 the brown was only 1.035 so I added DME to get up to 1.050.
It was a bit complicated but should be interesting...

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #412 on: September 02, 2017, 03:46:10 PM »
Looking to make an IPA with Kveik and I was thinking 75% 2 row, 25% flaked oats for grain bill. I want to hop schedule to emphasize fruity and citrus. I have columbus, citra, chinook, cascade, centennial on hand. Was thinking of a columbus/citra mix.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #413 on: September 02, 2017, 04:39:22 PM »
Looking to make an IPA with Kveik and I was thinking 75% 2 row, 25% flaked oats for grain bill. I want to hop schedule to emphasize fruity and citrus. I have columbus, citra, chinook, cascade, centennial on hand. Was thinking of a columbus/citra mix.
Looks good. I haven't tried Columbus citra bend but I've had good results from centennial citra blend. You'll probably get a fruity dank character with Columbus citra blend. But that sounds great to me...

Offline magee_b

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #414 on: September 03, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »
Brewed up an Irish Red this weekend. Used Crystal 40L, chocolate and some roasted barley, with EKG for the hop.

More importantly, my 4-month mission (takes a while to get things in via mail way over here) of getting a kegerator built was complete... custom taps and all!
Results are excellent - Have a blonde ale with a touch of home-grown hops on tap.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: September 03, 2017, 05:43:19 PM »
Sweet tap handles!

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #416 on: September 05, 2017, 09:41:52 PM »
Very nice

Offline Powers30

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: September 06, 2017, 08:46:10 AM »
Those tap handles are amazing.

Successful brew of the Coffee Black IPA. Thanks again for everyone who chimed in on the recipe.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: September 06, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »
Heres my rough draft for my Kveik IPA. I wanted it to be hoppy but still let some of subtleties of the yeast come through. Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions, more bittering/late additions?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Sigmund's Voss Kveik (The Yeast Bay)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated ABV: 6.1%
IBU: 57
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 95

GRAIN:
4.4 kg/80% 2 Row, Pale Malt
1.1kg/20% Flaked Oats

HOPS:
14g Columbus 15.5% @ 60min
14g Citra 12%AA @ 30min
28g Citra 12%AA @ 5min
28g Centennial 12%AA @ 5min
28g Citra 12%AA @0min
28g Centennial 12%AA @0min

MASH SCHEDULE:

Single Infusion @65C for 60 mins. Batch sparge.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: September 07, 2017, 07:48:14 AM »
Heres my rough draft for my Kveik IPA. I wanted it to be hoppy but still let some of subtleties of the yeast come through. Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions, more bittering/late additions?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Sigmund's Voss Kveik (The Yeast Bay)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated ABV: 6.1%
IBU: 57
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 95

GRAIN:
4.4 kg/80% 2 Row, Pale Malt
1.1kg/20% Flaked Oats

HOPS:
14g Columbus 15.5% @ 60min
14g Citra 12%AA @ 30min
28g Citra 12%AA @ 5min
28g Centennial 12%AA @ 5min
28g Citra 12%AA @0min
28g Centennial 12%AA @0min

MASH SCHEDULE:

Single Infusion @65C for 60 mins. Batch sparge.

A friend of mine used this strain recently for a NEIPA, I'll ask him what he thought of it. I believe he said he fermented it in the very high range (above 35C) with no off flavors whatsoever. I think I remember him saying it attenuated really well so you may want to adjust for a lower FG. For what its worth the recipe looks good otherwise if you're looking for the yeast to still show some character.