Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's Brewing?  (Read 143723 times)

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
Re: What's Brewing?
« Reply #375 on: May 23, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »
Must be what I was smelling today

Someone between you and me has a smoker because I smell it when I walk my dogs and it always makes me hungry.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #376 on: May 26, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »
Reviving my Brett C culture to brew a Brett Table Beer.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #377 on: June 04, 2017, 08:47:32 PM »
Finally got around to brewing a Brett Table Beer today with Brett C, Amarillo and Centennial.

I also wanted to try to see if I could capture something useful for a sour around my house. So I placed a mason jar with hot wort, covered by a sanitized cheesecloth under an apple tree. I'm letting it cool over night and I'll try to grow a starter tomorrow. It probably won't work but it's something I've been wanting to try.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: June 18, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »
Brewing a Rhubarb Saison, planning to add Brett on bottling day to see how the beer changes over the next few years.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #379 on: June 18, 2017, 04:19:25 PM »
Finally got around to brewing a Brett Table Beer today with Brett C, Amarillo and Centennial.

I also wanted to try to see if I could capture something useful for a sour around my house. So I placed a mason jar with hot wort, covered by a sanitized cheesecloth under an apple tree. I'm letting it cool over night and I'll try to grow a starter tomorrow. It probably won't work but it's something I've been wanting to try.

I've tried this several times and haven't had much luck. Everything I capture isn't strong enough on its own to ferment above 3% ABV and when I mix it with anything commercial it usually just gets overpowered and doesn't contribute much. I even have a couple I tried to go for multiple generations but they usually die out after the 2nd or 3rd pitch.

Let us know how it works out, I'd be interested to see if theres anything I could do better.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: June 18, 2017, 05:41:12 PM »

I've tried this several times and haven't had much luck. Everything I capture isn't strong enough on its own to ferment above 3% ABV and when I mix it with anything commercial it usually just gets overpowered and doesn't contribute much. I even have a couple I tried to go for multiple generations but they usually die out after the 2nd or 3rd pitch.

Let us know how it works out, I'd be interested to see if theres anything I could do better.
Yeah I didn't expect much. Just something I've always wanted to try. I'm going to use it on a 3 gallon batch.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #381 on: June 18, 2017, 08:59:17 PM »
Brewing a Rhubarb Saison, planning to add Brett on bottling day to see how the beer changes over the next few years.

In the works for myself as all, just without the Brett (for now)

How much rhubarb are you using in it? All the recipes I see calling for up to 3lbs, 1lb last 5 mins of the boil and 2lbs in the secondary for 7-10 days

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: June 18, 2017, 09:13:04 PM »

In the works for myself as all, just without the Brett (for now)

How much rhubarb are you using in it? All the recipes I see calling for up to 3lbs, 1lb last 5 mins of the boil and 2lbs in the secondary for 7-10 days

For fruit additions I tend to add only in secondary, which is how I'm going to treat this beer. Because it's my first time using rhubarb I'm referencing American Sour Beers, in it Tonsmeire recommends a range of 0.5-2.5 lb per gallon. I will likely settle in at about 1lb/gallon as I want the rhubarb to be present but not over shadow the contributions from the yeast.

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
« Reply #383 on: June 19, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »
Brewing a strawberry blonde.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: June 20, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
Just bottled up a NE Style IPA.

5.5%, about 50IBU

First time doing a partial mash, think it turned out pretty good. 2lbs 6 row, 2lbs of Vienna, 1lb each of Wheat and Oats, and then the rest light DME.

1/2oz of Simcoe at 60 for bittering, oz each of Amarillo, Citra and Galaxy at 1min, another oz of each for 20 min steep, oz of each again during fermentation and another oz of each dry hop for 4 days.

Yeast Bay Vermont Ale, which fermented like a monster. Did a double step starter to pitch. Went from 1.054 to 1.011 in about 3 days.

Initial taste was like drinking a glass of Tropicana OJ, with some  papaya and pineapple thrown in for good measure, surprising hop bite for only 1/2oz of Simcoe for bittering.

Cloudy like a thick orange fog.

Not that I do labels, but if I did, this would be it. For now it will be the place holder on Untappd.

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
« Reply #385 on: June 25, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »
Today I am doing a double batch of my honey malt blonde 1 with new us05 and 1 with 6th gen to see the differences

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: July 02, 2017, 12:18:16 PM »
Another NE style IPA brewed on Canada Day (tradition around here), Simcoe, Amarillo and Mandarina Bavaria. First time using the MB hops, should be interesting!

Offline Powers30

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #387 on: July 06, 2017, 01:25:42 PM »
Just kegged my NEIPA. I used the recipe from the BYO magazine, however. I had to sub Galaxy hops out as Noble Grape did not have any in their stock.

First time kegging and making this style, so I've had one step forward one step back in the whole process. "The Juice" came out a little boozey which I hope settles out in the next week or so.

Cheers,

Offline Powers30

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #388 on: July 06, 2017, 03:50:21 PM »
Just bottled up a NE Style IPA.

5.5%, about 50IBU

First time doing a partial mash, think it turned out pretty good. 2lbs 6 row, 2lbs of Vienna, 1lb each of Wheat and Oats, and then the rest light DME.

1/2oz of Simcoe at 60 for bittering, oz each of Amarillo, Citra and Galaxy at 1min, another oz of each for 20 min steep, oz of each again during fermentation and another oz of each dry hop for 4 days.

Yeast Bay Vermont Ale, which fermented like a monster. Did a double step starter to pitch. Went from 1.054 to 1.011 in about 3 days.

Initial taste was like drinking a glass of Tropicana OJ, with some  papaya and pineapple thrown in for good measure, surprising hop bite for only 1/2oz of Simcoe for bittering.

Cloudy like a thick orange fog.

Not that I do labels, but if I did, this would be it. For now it will be the place holder on Untappd.

Are you using a program to create those labels?

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #389 on: July 06, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »
Just kegged my NEIPA. I used the recipe from the BYO magazine, however. I had to sub Galaxy hops out as Noble Grape did not have any in their stock.

First time kegging and making this style, so I've had one step forward one step back in the whole process. "The Juice" came out a little boozey which I hope settles out in the next week or so.

Cheers,
What did you sub in for galaxy? It can be extremely difficult to get.