Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's Brewing?  (Read 143771 times)

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
Re: What's Brewing?
« Reply #360 on: April 13, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
Had a double brew weekend recently with a good friend - testing out his new brewstand that he had built here in Malawi. Pushed through a Blue Moon clone and a Bells Two Hearted IPA clone.

Meanwhile I just cracked into a pale ale I brewed early March and dry-hopped with some Malawi-grown cascade hops that I managed to grow over here (first time I think that's happened!). Turned out pretty great and 'pale-ale-ish'

The first few sips obviously went down well.

Super cool. I think I might copy your sparge arm.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #361 on: April 14, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
Well the birch sap is running hard right now so I'm brewing up my yearly birch saison. At the rate it's running I'm gonna need to plug the trees by the end of the weekend because I'll have more sap than I know what to do with. I changed up the recipe a little this year but I'm still using all birch sap as my water.

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #362 on: April 14, 2017, 01:29:35 PM »
Well the birch sap is running hard right now so I'm brewing up my yearly birch saison. At the rate it's running I'm gonna need to plug the trees by the end of the weekend because I'll have more sap than I know what to do with. I changed up the recipe a little this year but I'm still using all birch sap as my water.

Good to know, I'll have to get out to my taps soon. Checked them earlier this week and I only had about a gallon from 4 trees.

I was suppose to brew my chocolate maple porter today but forgot to start my 24 hour cold steep yesterday... O well, brew day tomorrow instead.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: April 14, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »
When it runs like it is now I need to collect twice a day...

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: April 16, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
Been busy today. Kegged a root beer, currently brewing my chocolate maple porter.

Also trying to get the one pound mystery IPA (SMASH with 1 lbs. of orbit hops) to pour from the keg; think I may have let too much sediment flow into the keg... goddamn it.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: April 16, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
Been busy today. Kegged a root beer, currently brewing my chocolate maple porter.

Also trying to get the one pound mystery IPA (SMASH with 1 lbs. of orbit hops) to pour from the keg; think I may have let too much sediment flow into the keg... goddamn it.

How did you make the root beer? This is something I've always been curious to do to have a tap for people that don't want to drink.

If the sediment was yeast then it will settle out in the keg. If it was hops something you can do is wrap cheesecloth or paint strainer bag around the intake of the siphon, I've found it helps quite a bit.

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: April 16, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »

How did you make the root beer? This is something I've always been curious to do to have a tap for people that don't want to drink.

If the sediment was yeast then it will settle out in the keg. If it was hops something you can do is wrap cheesecloth or paint strainer bag around the intake of the siphon, I've found it helps quite a bit.

It was just a bottle of root beer extract, but I am planning to do one from scratch this summer when I can go pick some wintergreen. The one I kegged today was fermented then back sweetened with lactose, but it would be even easier if you anted a non alcoholic version.

They have the extract at noble grape, think it is $7 for enough to do a 5 gal batch. And I'll post the real root beer recipe when I brew it.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: April 16, 2017, 09:51:10 PM »
Mmm root beer... Me an and my brother were just talking about our dad making root beer for us when we were kids...
I wonder how a birch sap root beer would be. I've got every inch of freezer space filled with sap. I plugged all my trees this morning. So I've got around 20gallons to play with. I might do another brown/porter'ish beer and maybe a 5 gallon batch of root beer/ginger ale for the kids with the rest of it.

Offline magee_b

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #368 on: April 23, 2017, 09:17:09 AM »
Working on an IPA today with my induction setup.Currently sparging.
Magnum, Crystal, Citra hops.

I'll move the induction burner after the sparge, down to the ground for my kettle.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:28:11 AM by magee_b »

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #369 on: April 23, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
Brewing a Milkshake IPA with Citra, Mosaic and Equinox.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #370 on: April 23, 2017, 01:50:08 PM »
Today I'm doing a co2 transfer to my corny dry hopper from the fermenter. It takes a lot longer to transfer but the hop aroma/flavour is worth it in the end.
But man is it ever slow going!...

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #371 on: April 23, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
I just bottled my first Kombucha (hopped and hopefully carbonated) while waiting on the maple sap to finish evaporating... Thanks for the SCOBY, @Cuba ! The sample tasted great.

Still at least a couple of hours to go on the syrup.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #372 on: May 22, 2017, 10:39:43 AM »
Prepping a Flanders Red I brewed a year ago to transfer to secondary. I'll be adding some red wine soaked oak cubes and a ton of blueberries. Inspired by Allagash's Little Sal.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: May 22, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »
Smoking a small brisket I picked up at the farmers market and brewing a belgian pale ale. Trying out my new remote thermometer and a package of OYL-024 Ive had since mid-winter.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:24:19 PM by feldmann »

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
« Reply #374 on: May 22, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »
Smoking a small brisket I picked up at the farmers market and brewing a belgian pale ale. Trying out my new remote thermometer and a package of OYL-024 Ive had since mid-winter.

Must be what I was smelling today