Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's Brewing?  (Read 143832 times)

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
Re: What's Brewing?
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2016, 01:38:12 PM »
Brewing my first all sap batch today. Maple sap Saison...
The maple just stopped running and now the birch is just pissing out of the trees. I expect to brew the Birch sap Saison within a week or so. They'll both be exactly the same recipe just the water source(sap) will change.  :cheers:

Great idea... I'm curious to see how they compare.

This sap brewing thing is a lot of work, lol
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2016, 04:39:08 PM »
The maple just stopped running and now the birch is just pissing out of the trees. I expect to brew the Birch sap Saison within a week or so. They'll both be exactly the same recipe just the water source(sap) will change.  :cheers:

Yea no shit!
I use an old back pack with an aluminum frame it can hold a 5gallon pail so once a day I fill it but I need check twice a day.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2016, 09:33:29 PM »

Yea no shit!
I use an old back pack with an aluminum frame it can hold a 5gallon pail so once a day I fill it but I need check twice a day.
That is some serious dedication sir!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #213 on: April 19, 2016, 08:36:08 AM »
@Roger nice selfie. Did you take that with your selfie stick?  :pal: :banana:
President of the NBCBA

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: April 19, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »
Well of course...
 :P

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »
Well of course...

Made from a 200 foot birch tree Roger hauled on his back for 7KMs then manually hand carved down into a selfie stick, no doubt  :ninja:
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2016, 05:23:11 PM »
Well of course...

Made from a 200 foot birch tree Roger hauled on his back for 7KMs then manually hand carved down into a selfie stick, no doubt  :ninja:
Hey who told you?...
 akimbo

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2016, 11:57:27 AM »
I bottled 5Gal of "all sap" smoked maple amber and kegged the other 5gal last night.

I used home made syrup for bottle conditioning and for extra maple flavoring in the keg.

Having only ever used maple syrup in the fermenter before (with never having any luck getting maple flavor), I had no idea how much to use for priming or for flavoring in the keg.  I used this logic, I hope it makes sense but I have no idea what to expect... There is a lot of guessing involved and way more math that I though would be involved with making homebrew, lol.  Needless to say, I will be storing the bottles in a Tupperware tote in case I get some bottle bombs.

Normal grabe B syrup is approximately 60% sugar (pretty much all fermentable). I'm guessing my homemade syrup is about the same. The refractometer won't read that high and I didn't bother diluting 10/1 to figure it out - Probably should have.

I normally use 1.25 cups or corn sugar (approx 7.5oz) to bulk prime a 5 gal batch to 3.3 co2 volume at 20cel (it's on the high end, I know. I'd rather have over carbonated than under and wanted some maple flavor to remain).

In order to figure out how much maple syrup to use, I multiplied the 7.5oz by 1.67 (since syrup is only 60% sugar). This means I would need approx. 12.5oz of syrup to get the same sugar content.

I pasteurized 12.5oz of syrup for the 5Gal bottle bulk priming and another 12.5 for the 5Gal in the keg.
Where the keg is in the fridge, it shouldn't ferment so I will likely remain much sweeter and have much more maple flavor there.

This might not turn out like I am hoping for but at least I will be able to see how the two compare and will know what not to do next time.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2016, 01:53:31 PM »
I bottled 5Gal of "all sap" smoked maple amber and kegged the other 5gal last night.

I used home made syrup for bottle conditioning and for extra maple flavoring in the keg.

Having only ever used maple syrup in the fermenter before (with never having any luck getting maple flavor), I had no idea how much to use for priming or for flavoring in the keg.  I used this logic, I hope it makes sense but I have no idea what to expect... There is a lot of guessing involved and way more math that I though would be involved with making homebrew, lol.  Needless to say, I will be storing the bottles in a Tupperware tote in case I get some bottle bombs.

Normal grabe B syrup is approximately 60% sugar (pretty much all fermentable). I'm guessing my homemade syrup is about the same. The refractometer won't read that high and I didn't bother diluting 10/1 to figure it out - Probably should have.

I normally use 1.25 cups or corn sugar (approx 7.5oz) to bulk prime a 5 gal batch to 3.3 co2 volume at 20cel (it's on the high end, I know. I'd rather have over carbonated than under and wanted some maple flavor to remain).

In order to figure out how much maple syrup to use, I multiplied the 7.5oz by 1.67 (since syrup is only 60% sugar). This means I would need approx. 12.5oz of syrup to get the same sugar content.

I pasteurized 12.5oz of syrup for the 5Gal bottle bulk priming and another 12.5 for the 5Gal in the keg.
Where the keg is in the fridge, it shouldn't ferment so I will likely remain much sweeter and have much more maple flavor there.

This might not turn out like I am hoping for but at least I will be able to see how the two compare and will know what not to do next time.
For the bottles why not use an online priming sugar calculator like this one?

https://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2016, 02:12:24 PM »

Well damn, that would have made things much easier ..  Thanks, lol.

According to that calculator, I with 12.5oz of syrup at 20C, I should expect 4.8 volume  :frazzled:  That is "Simpsons" atomic beer bomb territory... I might pop the caps and recap them tomorrow night..

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »

Well damn, that would have made things much easier ..  Thanks, lol.

According to that calculator, I with 12.5oz of syrup at 20C, I should expect 4.8 volume  :frazzled:  That is "Simpsons" atomic beer bomb territory... I might pop the caps and recap them tomorrow night..

4.8! Hope you have those in some thick glass  :lol:  Maybe warn people before you pop one of those at a meeting.

Offline Eric

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #221 on: April 22, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »
Tonight I'm brewing my first hefeweizen of the year  :cheers:

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
« Reply #222 on: April 22, 2016, 07:46:48 PM »
Tonight I'm brewing my first hefeweizen of the year  :cheers:
Can't wait to try it :D

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #223 on: April 23, 2016, 03:10:19 PM »
First brew of the season tomorrow.

Just a quick and simple IPA, Gold LME, with a little bit of biscuit malt thrown in, Chinook leaf for bittering (that I grew myself), and a bunch of Centennial for aroma and flavor.

Will be the first time using my Fast Ferment that I got for Xmas as well!

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2016, 10:52:11 PM »
Tonight I brewed the beer that inspired my black box comp beer. Should be interesting to see how much better it tastes with the proper ingredients :)
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/341869/bells-2-hearted-clone
Lee