Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Virox™ Sanitzer  (Read 7532 times)

Offline Dave Savoie

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Virox™ Sanitzer
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 04:04:13 PM »
The guy from Virox contacted me back and suggested this .......

Viper
Broad-Spectrum Cleaner and Sanitizer,
acceptable for use in the food preparation and
food processing industries in Canada

Can be ordered in from Whisco Limited
Telephone: 506-458-9490

roughly $90 for 4 Gallons of concentrate
comes in one gallon jugs and may be able to just order single bottles also

V1: General Sanitizer for
Environmental Surfaces
No Rinse Sanitizing:
Dilute the product at 1:128 (32mL to
4L of water or 1 oz to 1 US Gallon) or
1:64 (64 ml for 4L of water or 2 oz for
1 US Gallon). Apply to cleaned and
rinsed surfaces. Allow the surface to
remain wet for 30 seconds. Let dry.
Ensure surfaces drain adequately.
Charter Member

Offline shanek17

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 06:27:34 PM »
Quote from: "Dave Savoie"
Virox™ Sanitzer

Virox™ Broad-Spectrum Cleaner No Rinse Sanitizer   
A superior Broad-Spectrum Cleaner and Sanitizer, acceptable for use in the food preparation and food processing industries in Canada. Superior Cleaning / Oxidizing Power, Broad-Spectrum Sanitizer, No Rinse Required when Sanitizing on Environmental Surfaces, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Letter of No Objection, All Chemical Ingredients Listed on EPA Inert or FDA GRAS Listings, Leaves No Active Ingredient Residuals, VOC Free, Not Manufactured Using APE’s/NPE’s, Excellent Health & Safety, Non-Irritating to Eyes or Skin.

hey everyone , i am also intererested in cutting out the middle man, iv shopped around and realized how expensive these local home brew shops sell sanitizing solutions! I will not support the buying of these expensive starsan and idophor products, these companies are taking advantage of the home brewer and I dont like that. So i will cut out the middle man! anyways im just reading some more about this virox viper product.  I came across the MSDS for it and when i went down to the toxic section it says this information.

so the MSDS says that it is corrosive , ill post below the exact words from the MSDS.

"11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Acute toxicity: Corrosive
LD50 estimated to be between 2000 - 5000 mg/kg"

this product sounds great but I want to be sure of some things before I buy it.  If its corrosive is it still safe to use in wine and beer making?  what are some tips for using this stuff ? do i need to wear protective gear like gloves or are those just safety precautions.  I would like to use this product in a spray bottle for quickly sanitizing my equipment well I am working on my alcohol projects, is this okay to use in a spray bottle, does it truly work in 30 seconds?!

EDITED

I have just came across additional information about this product and its layed out rather nice on this page, check it out.

http://www.johnsondiversey.com/wcmt/Pro ... t_Spec.pdf

I was going to attach the actual downloaded file here , but I dont see the option for it, hopefully the website address works!

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »
In summary: screw that, use StarSan.

(the club sells it at cost)
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline shanek17

• Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 07:00:08 PM »
Quote from: "Richard"
In summary: screw that, use StarSan.

(the club sells it at cost)

are you talking to me ?  why do you say screw that?  this product looks good to me.

which club sells starsan at cost?  I see most stores selling it for ALOT of money.

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 07:04:41 PM »
This club; the NBCBA - are you in New Brunswick?

I found Star San particularly difficult to source from a lot of LHBS's; we sourced it direct from Five Star.

Failing that, if it's still the only choice - this stuff should still suffice; the LD50 and spec sheets are a little alarming, but still massively higher than say.. bleach.
Charter Member

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
Most sanitisers are corrosive to some degree - very low or high pH comes hand in hand with sanitisers in general.
Charter Member

Offline shanek17

• Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
Quote from: "Richard"
This club; the NBCBA - are you in New Brunswick?

I found Star San particularly difficult to source from a lot of LHBS's; we sourced it direct from Five Star.

Failing that, if it's still the only choice - this stuff should still suffice; the LD50 and spec sheets are a little alarming, but still massively higher than say.. bleach.

oh okay, I am actually in Southern Ontario , i just came across this webposting well i was researching a good product to use for my home wine and beer making.  This viper product says it can be used to wash vegtables and fruits so I would think its safe for home brewing.  I was just wondering if any one had any feedback or tips about it, before i go and purchase gallons of it.  

So are you saying I can buy sterilizing solutions from this company NBCBA for cheap?

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 07:55:55 PM »
It's just a club, and if you're not in NB you're mostly out of luck... however looking at the spec sheets, it appears this is mostly hydrogen peroxide. I've used that stuff as mouthwash at the 3% level, and no problems. So long as you use it to directions, it'll be fine for brewing.

Glad you're getting something from the site, even if you're not local :)
Charter Member

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 11:42:19 PM »
Hey Shanek17, welcome to the site.

Star San is quite expensive BUT, you can make it go a very long way, and it works very well.  1 oz to 5 GAL of water is pretty good.  I used 1 ounce to make 5, 1 gallon water jugs that I use to refill my spray bottles, which will last pretty much forever.  1/4 ounce in 5L of water in my fermentor, then transfer the solution into each vessel I use on that brew day.  It's really not that expensive if you use it efficiently.

happy brewing!
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline shanek17

• Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 01:28:11 AM »
Quote from: "fakr"
Hey Shanek17, welcome to the site.

Star San is quite expensive BUT, you can make it go a very long way, and it works very well.  1 oz to 5 GAL of water is pretty good.  I used 1 ounce to make 5, 1 gallon water jugs that I use to refill my spray bottles, which will last pretty much forever.  1/4 ounce in 5L of water in my fermentor, then transfer the solution into each vessel I use on that brew day.  It's really not that expensive if you use it efficiently.

happy brewing!

yea good point. once its diluted i guess it can last for awhile. The problem here is i live in canada and no one seems to have it.   i guess i could order it from the states but i dont like the shipping costs.  

i would still like to give this canadian viper no rinse sanitizer a try.  i actually worked for the company years ago so i dont mind supporting a local canadian company. Im just hoping to get some feedback from others on this site about it.

Offline Jmac00

• Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »
Shanek17, welcome to the site.

For stuff like this, it would probably be better for you to register on the SOB forum(southern ontario brewers) as they're more local to you, and would probably know where to buy stuff like this locally.....or get in on a group buy maybe.

http://www.areyouansob.com/

Also, there's another place, MOB...more of a mailing list/homebrew group...lots of info there as well, and they're in Ont. The problem with the maritimes is we find it very hard to get supplies and stuff....in Ont it seems like its much easier...just have to asked the right ppl. Just register at those two places and i'm sure you'll get more info than you need..cheers ;)

here's the MOB site
http://barleyment.wort.ca/

Offline shanek17

• Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
Quote from: "Jmac00"
Shanek17, welcome to the site.

For stuff like this, it would probably be better for you to register on the SOB forum(southern ontario brewers) as they're more local to you, and would probably know where to buy stuff like this locally.....or get in on a group buy maybe.

http://www.areyouansob.com/

Also, there's another place, MOB...more of a mailing list/homebrew group...lots of info there as well, and they're in Ont. The problem with the maritimes is we find it very hard to get supplies and stuff....in Ont it seems like its much easier...just have to asked the right ppl. Just register at those two places and i'm sure you'll get more info than you need..cheers ;)

here's the MOB site
http://barleyment.wort.ca/

Perfect! thank you !