Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recipe help  (Read 2206 times)

Offline nbmonte

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Recipe help
« on: January 27, 2019, 09:00:55 PM »
Hey,

I’m looking for a little guidance cloning a couple local beers, I’m not good at identifying what’s in a beer.  I kinda feel guilty trying to copy local beers, but I’d love to try making something similar to either beer.

Two of my favourite beers right now are gray stones Patagonia pale ale and grimross’s maritime pale ale. Any tips on what either beer uses would be greatly appreciated. I haven’t reached out to either brewery, feels kinda weird asking them what’s in there beer so I can make it at home.

Thanks

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
Re: Recipe help
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 11:33:47 AM »
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline nbmonte

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:26:55 PM »
Awesome

Thanks

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
I'd probably go closer to the first recipe (belgian pale ale) for Maritime Pale Ale. I'm pretty sure he told us what strain he uses for most of his beers but I can't remember what it was. T58 sticks out in my memory but I can't remember for sure, I'm pretty sure it was a dry yeast strain.

Patagonia Pale Ale's recipe is probably very similar with the yeast being the big difference. A simple malt bill thats mostly 2-row with a small amount of either Munich, Vienna or Victory. A combination of either centennial, cascade, columbus or chinook hops added mostly late in the boil and a clean american ale yeast like us-05.

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 10:30:10 AM »
You could be surprised how open some breweries are giving tips, clues or the ingredients of their beers. Some places even put the ingredients on the label
Even if you had the exact ingredient %, water profile and yeast/fermentation profile alone play a huge part in the final beer
Steve is a cool guy. I’m sure he would take it as a compliment and I bet money he would be open sharing some info with you  ;)

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 07:20:05 AM »
Never be afraid to reach out to a brewery. Most brewers don't mind giving you details, some may turn you down but there's no harm in asking. I know Shane from Hammond River will give you very detailed information about his recipes. I think a recipe is secondary to process.

And for what it's worth there's nothing wrong with brewing clones. Especially when you learn from them and then make them your own along the way.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk