Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Railcar Competition - Scottish Export  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Railcar Competition - Scottish Export
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:50:07 AM »
From the AC Beer blog:

While on the topic of Railcar, they just announced details on their 1st Annual Railcar Brewing Home Brew-Off. Open to all homebrewers in the Maritimes, the competition style is Scottish Export (14C) from the new 2014 BJCP Style Guidelines. Entries must be all-grain (no kits, extracts or sugars are permitted), and will be evaluated in a blind tasting by a panel of non-BJCP judges. The winner will get the opportunity to brew their beer with Mitch as a full-sized batch on the Railcar system, for commercial release as a Railcar seasonal! Registration is $15; each participant will receive a special 2015 Railcar Brew-Off glass. Entries are due by Thursday, March 26th (six 341 to 500 mL bottles are required); the top four will be selected for final judging. Awards and prizes will be handed out the following Thursday, April 2nd. For more information on rules and prizes, check out the link above. Fire up those kettles, homebrewers!

https://www.facebook.com/events/420522788102153/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
Re: Railcar Competition - Scottish Export
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:23:44 PM »
14C. Scottish Export
Aroma: Low to medium maltiness, often with flavors of toasted breadcrumbs, lady fingers and English biscuits. Low to medium caramel and low butterscotch is allowable. Light pomme fruitiness in best examples. May have low traditional English hop aroma (earthy, floral, orange-citrus, spicy, etc.). Peat smoke is inappropriate.

Appearance: Pale copper to very dark brown. Clear. Low to moderate, creamy off-white.

Flavor:Entirely malt-focused, with flavors ranging from pale, bready malt with caramel overtones to rich-toasty malt with roasted accents (but never roasty) or a combination thereof. Fruity esters are not required but add depth yet are never high. Hop bitterness to balance the malt. No to low hop flavor is also allowed and should of traditional English character (earthy, floral, orange-citrus, spicy, etc.). Finish ranges from rich and malty to dry and grainy. A subtle butterscotch character is acceptable;however, burnt sugars are not. The malt-hop balance tilts toward malt. Peat smoke is inappropriate.

Mouthfeel: Medium-low to medium body. Low to moderate carbonation. Can be relatively rich and creamy to dry and grainy. Never inherently roasty.

Overall Impression: A malt-focused, generally caramelly beer with perhaps a few esters and occasionally a butterscotch aftertaste. Hops only to balance and support the malt. The malt character can range from dry and grainy to rich, toasty, and caramelly, but is never roasty and especially never has a peat smoke character.

Comments: Malt-focused ales that gain the vast majority of their character from specialty malts, never the process.Burning malt or wort sugars via ‘kettle caramelization’ is not traditional nor is any blatantly ‘butterscotch’ character. Most frequently a draught product.Smoke character is inappropriate as any found traditionally would have come from the peat in the source water. Scottish ales with smoke character should be entered as a Classic Style Smoked Beer.

Characteristic Ingredients: Scottish pale malt. Amber and brown malts. Crystal and wheat malts. Roasted malts for color but never to the ‘roasty’ flavor level. Sugar adjuncts are traditional. Clean or slightly fruity yeast. Peat-smoked malt is inauthentic and inappropriate.

Style Comparison: Like a Scottish variation of an English dark mild. Similar character to a Wee Heavy, but much smaller.

Vital Statistics:
OG:1.040–1.060
IBUs:15–30
FG:1.010–1.016
SRM:13–22
ABV:3.9–6.0%

Commercial Examples:
Orkney Dark Island, Belhaven Scottish ale, Broughton Exciseman’s ale, Weasel Boy Plaid Ferret Scottish ale
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 03:36:50 PM »
I don't think I've ever tried one of these, let alone brewed one. Might be an interesting experiment.

Need to figure out how to get that Pic's special ingredient in my beer ;)
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline dean2k

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »
Nice.  Was looking an excuse to brew a Scottish ale.

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:24:10 AM »
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »
From the AC Beer Blog:

The winner of the first annual Railcar Homebrew Competition was announced last Saturday: local homebrewer Pierre Gagnon submitted the winning entry with his Groundskeeper Willie Pish (Scottish Export 80/-), which he will brew with brewmaster Mitch Biggar on the Railcar system in the near future.

Congrats @blisster !!

:cheers:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:50:59 AM by Two Wheeler »
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »
From the AC Beer Blog:

The winner of the first annual Railcar Homebrew Competition was announced last Saturday: local homebrewer Pierre Gagnon submitted the winning entry with his Groundskeeper Willie Pish (Scottish Export 80/-), which he will brew with brewmaster Mitch Biggar on the Railcar system in the near future.

Congrats @blisster !!

:cheers:

Thanks Jordan..  It turned out OK (for a Scottish ale, lol), I wasn't expecting to win though... I haven't talked to Mitch yet so I'm not sure how many entries there were.

either way, I'm looking forward to brewing it at Railcar.  I believe it will be served at the Highland games in Fredericton this summer (to be confirmed).

I'll bring a growler at MO next weekend  :cheers:

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Nice work @blisster I look forward to trying it next weekend.
 :drink: