Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: opinons  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
Re: opinons
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 06:24:08 PM »
So! How do you guys feel about trub? Should I try and filter it out or just dump it into my fermenters? I ended up with 2 carboys that each have about 2 inches of trub in them. I used a bag for the hops so it's just cold break. Just wondering for future batches.  :cheers:

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »
When you get your conicals it will be much less of an issue, easy to dump after a couple of hours of rest time.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 07:08:19 PM »
I leave some of it behind from the whirlpool, but I get a fair amount still.  I say, trub is fine.  The yeasties love it, and it settles out after fermentation anyway.  I get some pretty clear beer even having the trub there.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 08:31:45 PM »
When you get your conicals it will be much less of an issue, easy to dump after a couple of hours of rest time.

JQ
It will be a long time before I personally have conicals. but I see what you mean that would definitely be nice to be able to just dump that stuff out. We'll have conicals at the brewery so that should be nice.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 08:37:54 PM »
I leave some of it behind from the whirlpool, but I get a fair amount still.  I say, trub is fine.  The yeasties love it, and it settles out after fermentation anyway.  I get some pretty clear beer even having the trub there.
How much do you get in your carboys? I was expecting to get much less than I did. I used a whirlpool and whirlfloc but still ended up with a couple inches in the bottom of the carboy. It's kinda gross looking in the bottom I might try and fliter some out next time. Unless there is some kind of benefit to having it in there.

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »
That's about what I get. It's all good man. Don't stress about it.

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 08:35:01 AM »
How much do you get in your carboys? I was expecting to get much less than I did. I used a whirlpool and whirlfloc but still ended up with a couple inches in the bottom of the carboy. It's kinda gross looking in the bottom I might try and fliter some out next time. Unless there is some kind of benefit to having it in there.
imo it does; like Chris said, it gives food for the yeast, happy yeast = good beer!  When I brew brett beer I don't even vorlauf beside the first cup or so (just to make sure I don’t have husks).   I usually wait 10-15 min after whirlpool before transferring it and I get 2L-3L of trubs. 
 Do you have a pickup tube in your kettle?  I find that it helped alot to leave trubs behind

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 09:41:23 AM »
I've got 2 pick up tubes one that will go compleatly to the bottom center and the other one is the one I used it goes to the side since I was whirlpooling.