Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Funktown PA in kegs?  (Read 2319 times)

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
Funktown PA in kegs?
« on: September 26, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
I guess this is a two part questions;

First, does anyone put brett beers in their kegs? I've only ever put clean beers for fear of infecting my system, but I have a pale ale I made with Funktown PA and I have free space in my kegs while I'm low on free bottles.

Second, is Funktown PA really brett? The Yeast Bay website say its "wild Saccharomyces" but I read a lot of stuff that says its brett. Either way its wild, so i'm hesitant to throw it in my kegs.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
Re: Funktown PA in kegs?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:30:07 PM »
I guess this is a two part questions;

First, does anyone put brett beers in their kegs? I've only ever put clean beers for fear of infecting my system, but I have a pale ale I made with Funktown PA and I have free space in my kegs while I'm low on free bottles.

Second, is Funktown PA really brett? The Yeast Bay website say its "wild Saccharomyces" but I read a lot of stuff that says its brett. Either way its wild, so i'm hesitant to throw it in my kegs.

I put Brett beers in my kegs all the time. I currently have two kettle sours fermented with different Brett strains on tap. I have a wash I put anything that touches Brett through afterwards. I've yet (famous last words) to have a Brett infection in anything clean.

Secondly the funktown PA has Brett Brux trois which is actually a Wild Sacc strain, it was initially believed to be Brett. It behaved and had some characteristics similar to Brett but after they investigated further it turned out to be Sacc.

So either way I would say you're safe to go ahead and put it in your free keg.  :cheers:

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 02:37:36 PM »
What do you wash it with? I generally use oxiclean and then sanitize.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »
What do you wash it with? I generally use oxiclean and then sanitize.

I do both of those. But in between I add 2tbsp of bleach, 5 gallons water THEN 2tbsp vinegar (to drop the ph), 30sec soak and it kills everything.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 03:10:27 PM »
Nice. Knowing that this strain is brett trois, I think I won't worry too much about this batch. But this is nice to know for the future. Thanks!