Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hops versus Cancer: FIGHT!  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
Hops versus Cancer: FIGHT!
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:35:52 PM »
Note that I am *NOT* an advocate for "alternative" medicine. Alternative medicine that works is called "medicine". However:

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/newsarc ... cancer.htm

"Xanthohumol is one of the more significant compounds for cancer chemoprevention that we have studied," said Fred Stevens, a researcher with OSU's Linus Pauling Institute and an assistant professor of medicinal chemistry in the College of Pharmacy. "The published literature and research on its properties are just exploding at this point, and there's a great deal of interest."

And:

http://www.mdpi.org/ijms/papers/i8090989.pdf

Would seem to suggest that there is a massive relationship between the content of said compound and the cultivar employed:

"The contents of the secondary metabolites in question depended more on the cultivar under investigation than on the water supply, at least as far the growing conditions for a relatively normal development of the plant were met. "

(incidentally the results seem to suggest also that drier circumstances are better for the development of such metabolites in the majority of cultivars)

Also:

http://www.hopsteiner.com/pdf/brew_trials.pdf

"Recently, the presence of unusually high levels of xanthohumol were reported in Stouts and Porters (Brauwelt international II/2004, p. 100). Further increases in these levels have been made possible by the use of a xanthohumol-enriched hop product. This hop product was introduced at the last EBC Congress in Dublin where it was used in the production of a Pilsner. In the following article, these results are compared with those from the production of a stout beer."

"In fact, in a recent patent application the anti-inflammatory effect of isoxanthohumol and its ‘anti-aging’ effect were rated higher than that of xanthohumol (5)."

(5 --International Publication Number: WO 03/090555 A1.)

Here's wondering three things:
1. What the flavor profile of said "enriched hop product" is.
2. Whether or not we can get our hands on some :D
3. If anyone has access to a paywall we could get citation (5) from.

Thoughts?
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
Re: Hops versus Cancer: FIGHT!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:50:31 AM »
I'll check
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:15:34 AM »
For the article reference in the first link, the words "Humulus lupulus" occur very frequently in the references for this... hehehe.

What I got from the "Dietary Exposure" section was that late hops additions are most likely to retain the chemical as it tends to be isomerized. For this reason, even though hops themselves tend to be high in the compound, it gets boiled off in the wort (Stevens & Page, 2004, 1320).

credit:
J.F. Stevens, J.E. Page / Phytochemistry 65 (2004): p1320.

Very cool, now I'm going to email them about dry-hopping and which specific hops are highest in this compound.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Offline Brian_S

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »
Whats was that Richard......drink more beer?   Well, when you put it that way.

B
<No context>Dark and Dirty</No Context>

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:00:56 PM »
I'm a little puzzled as to why they say stout contains the highest concentrations. I'm guessing they didn't test any IPA.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.