Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Good news guys about the Homebrew laws in NB  (Read 11972 times)

Offline Dave Savoie

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Good news guys about the Homebrew laws in NB
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »
The meeting did happen and the guy was very supportive of our cause Ill look back into this

Kyle do you still have that guys contact info ?
Charter Member

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
I gave him a summary of our goals, cost / benefits to the community, and suggested legislative wording from other provinces. There was also a brief discussion on the sheet about business opportunities, tourism, and such with competitions. I don't have access to that file at the moment, but I gave Mike Johnstone (E.D. Public Safety) a couple copies of it, as well as one to Darleen Harnish (IIRC director of Liquor Control)

The root problem is that it is in the Act (Section 36 in case you are interested) rather than the Regulation, so any changes would have to be voted on in a bill in the provincial legistature. The good news is that the business community in NB arealdy disliked other aspects of the NB liquor control act, so we were hoping to ride their coat-tails to get our voice in. No changes yet for us I don't think:

NB Liquor Control Act
http://www.gnb.ca/0062/acts/acts/l-10.htm
"36A person not prohibited from having possession of liquor may have in the person’s residence a maximum total of fifty gallons of wine, wine and beer or beer made by the person in the person’s residence, and a person who is not prohibited from consuming liquor may consume that wine or beer in that residence.
1971, c.43, s.5; 1974, c.26(Supp.), s.3; 1992, c.90, s.30."

The current legal interpretation of the above quote is that home brew is fine, up to 50- gallons AT ONCE, but it is not to leave the home or apartment where it was brewed. Public safety told us that this law is not enforced, but because it is in the Act it is very difficult to modernize.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2011, 11:05:36 AM »
Thanks for the update guys.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline Dave Savoie

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2011, 11:06:50 AM »
I just called and left messeges for Mike Johnstone (E.D. Public Safety & Darleen Harnish (IIRC director of Liquor Control)

So hopefully in the next few days Ill have a better update for everyone !!!
Charter Member