Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can Unibroue still be considered Canadian?  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 430
Can Unibroue still be considered Canadian?
« on: January 14, 2015, 10:44:43 AM »
I had no idea that Unibroue had been purchased by Sapparo International, on of the top 5 larges breweries in the world and head quartered in Japan. 

In 2004 the Sleeman Brewery became interested in the Quebec company’s ultra-modern facilities and highly qualified labor force. After purchasing Unibroue, Sleeman renamed itself Sleeman Unibroue Inc. The merger gave the brewery a powerful presence right across Canada. Today iconic Quebec beers like Blanche de Chambly, La Maudite, and La Fin du Monde are readily available right across Canada.

Another chapter in the story of the little Chambly-based brewery was written in October 2006 when Japan’s oldest commercial brewer, Sapporo International, purchased Sleeman Unibroue. With their profound respect for art, tradition, and culture, the Japanese recognized Unibroue as a Canadian treasure to be cherished and shared with the entire world.
Fermenting: Air
On Tap: Hoppy Porter
Bottled:  Air

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Re: Can Unibroue still be considered Canadian?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »
I've known that, and still consider them to be Canadian
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:53:07 AM »
I've known that, and still consider them to be Canadian
and a very good one too!
I don't care who makes what, if it's quality I'll drink it  8)

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »
From what I have read, while Sleeman, and then Sapporo purchased them (Sapporo by way of purchasing Sleeman), both parent companies have pretty much let Unibroue run with the flag for themselves. Pretty much all the subsequent purchases have done is allow Unibroue to get distributed to more places, which is good for everyone.

Still Canadian in my books.

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »
Ownership is much less of an issue than management.  If the beer is made here, is from here, but purchased by a foreign company, then it's still Canadian beer.  Many companies that buy the smaller guys are still leaving management in place, and allowing them to continue with business as usual.

It IS, however, nice to know where your money ends up, regardless of how/where the beer is made, and how good it is.
on tap: IPA
fermenting: Roseway Red, Rye IPA, Tripel, Flanders Red, Sour #1
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA