Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buying hops  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Alain2

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • 2 stroke motorcycles and mountain bikes
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
Buying hops
« on: December 09, 2015, 05:25:50 PM »
Where do you buy hops? Noble grape, online with EBS?

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
Re: Buying hops
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 06:17:45 PM »
Where do you buy hops? Noble grape, online with EBS?
I avoid Noble Grape, mind you their storage methods have improved. But I've gotten some poor quality product there a couple of times so I would never buy from there. I generally order from Yakima Valley, you won't find better quality hops but the exchange rate is bad right now. Still, I'd rather buy the best hops I can. I prefer hoppy beer so that's where I put my money.

I have purchased from Dave Everwood. Just once. Two varieties were very good, another not so much. I would recommend to buy from him for best bang for your buck. He does vacuum seal his hops. There's also OBK.

Offline Alain2

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • 2 stroke motorcycles and mountain bikes
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »
I don't mind spending $ for quality products so I will try Yakima.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 01:16:31 PM »
Finding someone to go in with you is helpful. To split shipping. Also really helps if you have or know someone with a PO box in the US.

Offline nagirroc

• NBCBA
  • gregg corrigan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 07:04:02 PM »
When you ship to a post office box on the US, do you pay duty and tax crossing the border?

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:10:13 PM »
I never have. They are technically considered a food item, I could be mistaken on that. But I've never had to pay a dollar regardless of my length of stay in the US. Not to say it COULDN'T happen. You never know what type of border agent you're going to have to deal with. I just make sure I'm not over on spending limit or alcohol. That way they don't have a good reason to pull me in.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 10:37:23 PM »
When I want to ship something in the states, I use Holly's General Store in Vanceboro, Me. It's just 10 minutes past McAdam and one of the smallest/easiest border crossings in the province.

All you do is have your package shipped to the store. I usually have it addressed like this:

Jordan Harris
C/O Holly's General Store
47 Water Street (Might now be Railroad Street)
Vanceboro, ME, 04491
1 207-788-3922

They accept hundreds of Canadians' packages a month. I'd give them a call to make sure they still do it, but essentially they just charge you $2 per week holding fees. It's about 50 mins to get there, fill up your gas tank on the other side and your trip is paid for. As for the border guards, just tell them on the US side that you're going to get a package at Holly's. On the way home make sure you have your receipt and tell them you picked up a package. They know what's up.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er