Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brewery tour suggestion - Munich and Bamberg  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Brian_S

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Brewery tour suggestion - Munich and Bamberg
« on: May 01, 2015, 05:18:33 PM »
Ok, so I've found myself in Munich again (this never ends well) and thought I should "tour" at least one brewery, any suggestions?   I'm not having a lot of luck with Mister Google.  In addition, because I hate myself, I'm heading to Bamberg as well and would accept any suggestions.

B
<No context>Dark and Dirty</No Context>

Offline Eric

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: Brewery tour suggestion - Munich and Bamberg
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:16:14 PM »

Offline Brian_S

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
Thanks Eric, do you have any experience with these tours?  I was hoping someone might pipe up who has(themselves) toured a few of the big six and how they arranged it.

On a side note I (cuz I'm awsome) decide to head over to the Oktoberfest grounds just for a look and found the Augustiner tent was open as its Frühlingsfest which appears to be some kind of little Oktoberfest from mid April until early May  (May poles and what not).  After a few litres and various cuts of roasted pig meat I feel I no longer need to see the real thing.  I would highly recommend visting Frühlingsfest if you want the experience without the crowds......so many dirndles and liederhosen.

B
<No context>Dark and Dirty</No Context>

Offline Eric

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:06:40 PM »
No I did not visit Munich.
No I never try those organized brewery tour in Germany because I was doing all the small brewery pub and usually they let you visit... I visit Berlin, Erfurt, Munster, Hamburg and Frankfurt. Nice country, good beer but hard to remember everything lol :drunk:

enjoy

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:12:42 PM »
For Bamberg, I definitely recommend Schlenkerla.  Get the roast hunk o' pig.  It's huge and awesome.  Also, there is a great little pub called Cafe Abseits that serves a lot of beers from the region, and is a little off the beaten path, so you can avoid those pesky tourists.  I found everything the guy on the european beer blog said was correct.  Great town.  Also, if you can, get a tour of the Weyermann factory. 
on tap: IPA
fermenting: Roseway Red, Rye IPA, Tripel, Flanders Red, Sour #1
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA