Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ANBL argues it will go out of business if people are allowed to buy beer in QC.  (Read 6002 times)

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 299
on tap: IPA
fermenting: Roseway Red, Rye IPA, Tripel, Flanders Red, Sour #1
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 299
"Without that legislation to prevent the direct sale of alcohol to consumers by producers, Smith said “it would risk putting us out of business.”

...and put more money in the hands of our small businesses, you mean?
on tap: IPA
fermenting: Roseway Red, Rye IPA, Tripel, Flanders Red, Sour #1
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
“it would risk putting us out of business.”

yet they've made 165 million profit last year lol
adapt to the market or go the way of the dinosaur.  Governments shouldn’t be involved in any business anyway

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
I bet whoever pushed to have this law enforced is kicking themselves now.
Lee

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
Best case scenario the court rules in favor of Mr. Comeau and declares these inter-provincial prohibition era laws unconstitutional (as it violates section 121 of the Constitution Act which allows for the free entry of goods, produce and manufacture between provinces).

This would have ripple effects across Canada. Licensed establishments could then buy directly from out of province manufacturers/distributors without having to go through their respective provincial liquor boards (middle men).  That would translate to lower costs, better selection for the end consumers, improved profit margins for the business owners including the manufacturers.

Not likely to happen though... But if it ever does, hopefully it would force ANBL to finally get our of the beer/mead/cider/wine alcohol selling/distribution business and become a (tax and licensing compliance) regulator only as they should be.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
I bet whoever pushed to have this law enforced is kicking themselves now.

I have a feeling it was our good friends at the ANBL executive board who asked for the RCMP to enforce this law. How can they afford to secretly take their friends at Larry's Gultch or buy 40,000 growlers (for a pilot project) without making sure we all get gouged?

I hope it comes back to bite them  :cheers:
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Go out of business, yeah OK.

The only people that go over to Quebec are those that live near Quebec. Not many people from Fredericton, Moncton and SJ going to Quebec to buy beer, unless they are already in the Northern part of the province.

That isn't going to change, no matter the outcome of the case.

I was across last Thursday (as I was already in the area), during the day, and I think I might have counted 2, maybe 3 cars with Quebec plates on them, combined at all the stores, however there were 10X that from NB there, in the middle of the week, middle of the day.

What this case would do however, if the outcome is the demolition of the trade barriers, is you will see places pop up like you see in the US, which will be a mail order beer company, where you can order beer online and have it shipped to you. Obviously not cost effective to do on a regular bases, considering the shipping costs in this country, but for those beer you just have to try, but is only available online or in BC or something. As well, the infamous "beer of the month" club.

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
Court ruling:  "S134b violates s121, charges dismissed" !   :rock: :banana:

This could have hug implications, especially if businesses are also allowed to buy liquor from outside of the province for resale (without having to go through the ANLB monopoly)?

Hopefully this brings us one step closer to beer/wine/mead/cider sale privatization.

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
The iron curtain will come down.
Mister Gallant, tear down this wall!

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The iron curtain will come down.
Mister Gallant, tear down this wall!

Don't think he has much of a choice. If it is in the Federal constitution, that supersedes anything underneath it, including anything the provinces or municipalities would like to do.

Gotta hand it to the attorney that took the case. ANBL complained that if these rules were struck down, that they would loose money and sales.

However the lawyer brought up that Manitoba abolished their same laws, and matched prices from Ontario and Sask., effectively eliminating cross boarder sales of booze, and increasing sales at Manitoba Liquor Commission.

Hard to argue with that, however I don't know as if ANBL would reduce their prices to the level of Quebec. Really they wouldn't have to match prices, just bring it down to a level that doesn't make it attractive to shop in Quebec, even if they were only $2-$3 a case more than the price in Quebec, this would dissuade a great number of people from buying in Quebec, other than maybe for brands you can't buy here.

Will that happen? Who knows, but I would bet it will be the last resort for ANBL, as they will fight this to the end (and spend more money in the process than what they would possibly loose to having similar pricing). Only thing is, NS would probably have to follow suit if we did, or else they would face the same problem of people driving to NB for cheap booze. Mind you not as many crossing points as we have with Quebec.

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
I see they are back at it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moosehead-beer-price-cut-1.3677110

NB prices will never be competitive with Quebec or Maine (and we will never have their selection) as long as ANBL is in the middle with their mafia-like control of sales and distribution.

ANBL, just privatize beer/wine/mead/cider sales already, at least for products made in this province!!  It seems so logical how this would be a huge benefit to our local businesses and consumers.

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
Customers will be able to mix and match four 15-can packs of those labels for $74.99, which works out to $1.25 per can. NB Liquor says customers will save $37 in total.

Just goes to show the amount of profit they make if the price of a 15 pack can be cut from $27.98 to $18.75
Lee

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
might have to grab some alpine lol

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
Careful....they may kick you out of the club for talk like that ;)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
Careful....they may kick you out of the club for talk like that ;)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

lol keg of alpine for the next MO lol