Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ales Open 2015  (Read 2545 times)

Offline mcgster

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ales Open 2015
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:13:28 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else from NB sent some entries to this?

I sent a few off and am waiting anxiously to see the results!

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Re: Ales Open 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 02:26:16 PM »
I was planning on it, but then lost track of the time and it was too late.

What categories did you enter?
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline mcgster

• Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 02:40:18 PM »
Ah thats too bad!

I sent in a remake of my American IPA: Lupulus Interruptus with a different dry hop regime (cascade, citra and simcoe) and a remake of my ordinary bitter (The Bitter End - from way back to the 2013 NB comp).

I also did a few new styles, a saison, an oktoberfest, a lite american lager and a scottish export 80 which i had brewed for railcar and never sent.

I had a week off at christmas time so i brewed 5 batches of beer in hopes of them being ready for this competition, the oktoberfest and american lager were slow ones so i wanted to get them in the pipeline early

Offline DeMerch

• Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:42:40 PM »
I sent in my 'Riley Reid's Choice Stout' that placed 3rd at Cowtown, and my Canadian Loyalist ESB (maple ESB as a Cat23 beer), a second iteration of the beer which placed first in the Beaus Oktoberfest event (although this one needed some more time for the maple flavour to fade).

I see they are getting lots of press:

I'm still DYING waiting for my score sheets to come back from Cowtown and WertContest...
@DeMerch 2 - @Two Wheeler 1

Offline mcgster

• Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 06:13:45 PM »
Same here!

In cowtown my ordinary bitter took 3rd and the IPA took gold at Werthogs but i haven't seen the score sheets from either yet.

The IPA that i sent in to Werthogs is a new batch of the same, but tweaked, recipe. I think the new dryhop improves the flavor by giving it a bit more depth but the judges will be the judge of that lol.

Offline mcgster

• Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:41:42 AM »
Results were posted last night, looks like my lagers did well but i didn't place in any of the other styles. I can't wait to see the scoresheets.

http://www.alesclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2015-ALES-OPEN-Final-Results.pdf

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »
Cool man. Congrats! - you should bring some beer up to Fredericton at some point to a meeting!
President of the NBCBA

Offline mcgster

• Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 04:32:52 PM »
I would love to, i'm in St. John's NL for school right now so all of my  beer is on the rock. I'm back in July for 8 weeks and i'll be ferrying whatever i have left back with me. If you guys are having any July / August meetings i'll have to try and make it up to one.