Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aging and cellar  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Alain2

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • 2 stroke motorcycles and mountain bikes
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
Aging and cellar
« on: November 18, 2016, 02:47:40 PM »
Does anyone ages homebrew and/or commercial beer?
Do you have a cellar?
Do you age the bottles horizontally or vertically?

Personally I am aging some commercial beer;
- Goudenband from Brouwerij Liefmans,
- Stella Maris from the Distillerie Fils du Roy,
- Maudite,
- Fin du Monde.

I also had few bottles of Duchesse de Bourgogne, but I couldn't resist and drank them all...

I'm also aging homebrew;
- Belgian tripel,
- American Barleywine.

New year I will bottle my Flanders Red and I plan on aging bottles depending of the initial taste.

I keep all my bottles upright.

I do not have a cellar, I just keep the bottles in my dark basement.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:25:35 PM by Alain2 »

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
Re: Aging and cellar
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
I always have a stock of at least 60 commercial bottles. Currently I have over 110 bottles of homebrew aging, mostly sour and Brett beers. I keep them in a cool place in my basement, but the temperature does vary. It's certainly not a true cellar but it's the best I can do for the amount of space I need. I generally age all my bottles upright, though anything corked and caged goes on its side. Those need to sit upright for multiple days prior to drinking though.

Offline Scott

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 04:03:23 PM »
I always have a stock of at least 60 commercial bottles. Currently I have over 110 bottles of homebrew aging, mostly sour and Brett beers. I keep them in a cool place in my basement, but the temperature does vary. It's certainly not a true cellar but it's the best I can do for the amount of space I need. I generally age all my bottles upright, though anything corked and caged goes on its side. Those need to sit upright for multiple days prior to drinking though.

60 commercial bottles eh? Must have stocked up when the Alpine was on sale this summer. :rolling:

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 04:35:45 PM »
I don't have a cellar either but I try to keep anything fit for aging cool and dark at least...

Offline Alain2

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • 2 stroke motorcycles and mountain bikes
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 10:04:43 AM »

Wow 60 bottles, that is my new goal!

Did you cork some of your homebrew or the corked bottles are all commercial?

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »

Wow 60 bottles, that is my new goal!

Did you cork some of your homebrew or the corked bottles are all commercial?
Commercial only. I've been wanting to go the cork and cage route for a while. But from what I've read the cheap systems are a big PITA to use.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 02:42:17 PM »
My "cellar" is currently just a shelf in my garage. I keep them all upright then a towel over top to keep the light out.

Whenever I find a beer I really like (and has higher abv%) I usually try to  a bottle or two. I'm still quite new to it so I haven't tasted many aged bottles yet.

Why would one want to lie the bottles on their side?

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 08:24:45 PM »
My "cellar" is currently just a shelf in my garage. I keep them all upright then a towel over top to keep the light out.

Whenever I find a beer I really like (and has higher abv%) I usually try to  a bottle or two. I'm still quite new to it so I haven't tasted many aged bottles yet.

The corked bottles should be placed on their side to keep the cork moist. It will prevent them from drying out and allowing oxygen in.

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 01:20:31 PM »

The corked bottles should be placed on their side to keep the cork moist. It will prevent them from drying out and allowing oxygen in.

Good to know! I have a few bottles to go lay down.