Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Roast Pig  (Read 125 times)

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 124
Roast Pig
« on: May 25, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »
Anyone ever bought a whole pig and roasted it before? Where did you get the pig and what method did you use?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 921
Re: Roast Pig
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 04:41:39 PM »
I've never done it but a recent conversation I had with @ChrisD makes me want to give it a try.
I'm not sure if I could fit a whole pig in my kamado but I don't think cutting it in half would make a big difference. Chris told me he has a buddy that raises pigs localy. So it might be worth looking into...

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
There is a good butcher out in maugerville where I usually get my meat for smoking. His name is Tony and he is one of the butchers at the Boyce farmers market on Saturdays.

He advised me (and I agree with him now) that you are much better off buying hams. Reason one being that they are mostly meat versus other parts that are mostly bone. Reason two being  a whole/half pig is huge and requires a huge cooking device. Reason three being that most people lose their appetite when looking into the eyes of their dinner.

The last 2 springs I have held a party and smoked 2 hams; they were a huge hit! Let me know if you need recipes for brine, dry rubs, glaze, etc.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 124
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 08:34:24 PM »
I think at this point people are more on board with the novelty of the whole pig. We scored an old oil drum that we may convert into a roaster so equipment wise I think we're set. My backup will definitely be a ham though.

Which stand is Tony at? Theres 2 stands there I usually get my meat for smoking from, I think one is Elke's and I can't remember the other one.

Offline ChrisD

• Executive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:14 PM »
I'll talk to my guy and see how much a roasting pig would cost and what's involved.  He also does hams, roasts, etc.; I'll see what he can offer for options.   

Chris

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »
Tony has the best bacon on the planet!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk