Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Temp cotroller from OBK  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 430
Temp cotroller from OBK
« on: September 03, 2014, 11:31:45 AM »
Looking into upping my fermentation control with a 7 cu ft freezer and one of these from OBK.

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Anycontrol_AC_211_Heat_Cool_Temperature_Controller_p/ac211-temp-control.htm

I know Johnson and Rancor are the most commonly used by for $50, this may be the more economic option. 

Does anyone have one of these to comment on?
Fermenting: Air
On Tap: Hoppy Porter
Bottled:  Air

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Re: Temp cotroller from OBK
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »
I beleive @DeMerch has one of these.

I can't see why it wouldn't work, and that's a pretty good value. Noble Grape sells the analog Johnson ones for $90, and there aren't many good deals shipped to Canada.

I purchased Chris Craig's STC-1000 controller and it works great, but not sure how hard it was to build.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »
Save 5 bucks through Everwood. I bought one from everwood a few months ago

https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/product/10-amp-temperature-controller-with-outlets/

I don't really have any complaints... super simple to use and set temp. I love it to cold crash. I do find it can fluctuate +/- 1 degree or more, and I had one or two instances where I had it set to 17C and after opening the freezer it seemed to cool to like 14C before warming up again. My probe is open to the air inside the freezer so maybe putting the probe in a bottle of water inside would help things.

I still think its well worth the $45

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »
The STC-1000 is under $20 delivered. But you need to wait 3-4 weeks for it to arrive then put together the box with an outlet. I like to build stuff so I'd go with the STC-1000 that way I can fix it if something breaks. But $45 plus shipping from for plug and play isn't a bad deal at all.

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:57:07 AM »
Save 5 bucks through Everwood. I bought one from everwood a few months ago

https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/product/10-amp-temperature-controller-with-outlets/

I don't really have any complaints... super simple to use and set temp. I love it to cold crash. I do find it can fluctuate +/- 1 degree or more, and I had one or two instances where I had it set to 17C and after opening the freezer it seemed to cool to like 14C before warming up again. My probe is open to the air inside the freezer so maybe putting the probe in a bottle of water inside would help things.

I still think its well worth the $45

I'm officially eating my words ~1.5 years later ... this thermostat just stopped working and freezer mode kicked in freezing nearly ALL of my Club xmas exchange brews! Only brews to survive was @robcoombs Brett beers that were stored on my work bench! Damn!

I don't think this product is available any more anyway, for good reason. But if you're using one now ... well, just a heads up.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:15:09 AM »
Brutal Dan... it's crazy the failure rate on that rig.

Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »
Thanks for the heads up @DandyMason , I have 10 of them. Using 4 of them right now. I only have pumps on them not drawing a ton of juice. I'd love to know if the failure was due to load or not.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »
I've got two of the STC 1000's running almost constantly with no problems. But I'm pretty sure you can get a temperature alarm for a fridge that will alert you of a temp differential of a few degrees either way.

Offline HopHead

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 04:16:17 PM »
The STC-1000 is under $20 delivered. But you need to wait 3-4 weeks for it to arrive then put together the box with an outlet. I like to build stuff so I'd go with the STC-1000 that way I can fix it if something breaks. But $45 plus shipping from for plug and play isn't a bad deal at all.

I've just purchased the STC-1000 to control my new keezer build. Not much of an electrical builder, do you have any pictures of your build?
Richard

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
No I don't but you tube is where I got my instructions it was very simple to build.

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »
Thanks for the heads up @DandyMason , I have 10 of them. Using 4 of them right now. I only have pumps on them not drawing a ton of juice. I'd love to know if the failure was due to load or not.

JQ

Another FYI for those who have had this controller quit on them, Dave from Everwood is helping me out with a pretty sweet deal for another temperature controller ... this one ... http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/product-p/ebs-itc-308.htm

He said he would make it right with whoever else had issues like this.

Just thought it was worth mentioning also that I've had nothing but awesome service from Everwood

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »

JQ

Another FYI for those who have had this controller quit on them, Dave from Everwood is helping me out with a pretty sweet deal for another temperature controller ... this one ... http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/product-p/ebs-itc-308.htm

He said he would make it right with whoever else had issues like this.

Just thought it was worth mentioning also that I've had nothing but awesome service from Everwood

That replacement is a decent little piece of kit for that price.
@Everwood Brew Shop Rocks the support, this is a very good example of how well he supports our members and I expect all of his customers as well. Dave regularly goes above and beyond and should be supported whenever it's possible.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples