Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stir Plate  (Read 8159 times)

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
Stir Plate
« on: October 08, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
Finally got around to getting my stir plate done.

Nothing fancy but works great.

I might have to look for another box though, I'm not sure how much I would trust my electrical masterpiece inside a very flammable cigar box overnight  :rock:

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
Re: Stir Plate
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »
Right on man; I do like the choice of box. Very cool.
President of the NBCBA

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »
Hard to beat the Montecristo!
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:19:33 AM »
Hard to beat the Montecristo!

Indeed... My short list of go-to cigars has mostly MontreCristo's on it.

I'm hoping the yeast I cultivate from this stir plate gives a little bit of a MonteCristo profile  :cheers:
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
I was always nervous of leaving this box plugged in while away... It wouldn't take much heat to set that old cigar box on fire, especially with a fan blowing air inside.

I rigged up a new one for peace of mind:

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 05:03:39 PM »
Great job @blisster! You should sell these. I'm sure a number of guys in the club would buy them. I'd certainly pay for one.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:04:30 PM »
Looks great! What are those risers?
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »

Thanks.. The black spots on top?  They are rubber stickers that go under desktop computers, haha

Rob, I'd happily help anyone make one.. It wouldn't be worth the time and effort to sell them though. This cost about $25 in total (pvc box was most of it) and about 2-3 beers in time.  For $80 or so you can get a new stir plate online.

Offline nagirroc

• NBCBA
  • gregg corrigan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 10:19:30 AM »

Thanks.. The black spots on top?  They are rubber stickers that go under desktop computers, haha

Rob, I'd happily help anyone make one.. It wouldn't be worth the time and effort to sell them though. This cost about $25 in total (pvc box was most of it) and about 2-3 beers in time.  For $80 or so you can get a new stir plate online.

Old post but I have a question. I tried to make one of these but I was popping the power source (cell phone charger). I suspected the rheostat. Anything special about the rheostat or power supply you chose?

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 10:50:34 AM »
Hard to say.. Could be a defective rehostat but I'm guessing it (or the fan) needs too much power for what the adapter  can handle?

What is the DC out on your ac adapter? I've used DC9V and DC12V.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »
I think you'll want to make sure the output rating on the power source is similar to the draw from the components. I use power sources from old charges like from Black and Decker cordless drills and stuff like that. I've never used a cell phone charger so maybe it's just not up to the task.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 02:11:14 PM »
I've been using a cell phone charger for years, most of the builds I read online used them. Mine says Input 110-240V, Output 5.0-5.4V on the back. I'm pretty sure I have a 25 ohm rheostat.

Offline nagirroc

• NBCBA
  • gregg corrigan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 09:02:31 PM »
The two I have scraped were 12v 1amp and 5v 1amp. The fan is 12v .6amp. I do not remember what the rheostat was.

Do you have any other electronics in line or just a rheostat? What rating rheostat did you use?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:04:21 PM by nagirroc »

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 11:51:34 PM »
where can i get a rheostat local?? i have everything to make a stir plate accept that.

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 09:37:45 AM »
Do you have any other electronics in line or just a rheostat? What rating rheostat did you use?

Just the on/off switch... I've built 4-5 stir plates so far and have alway used 12V computer fan speed controllers for a rheostat similar to this:
http://www.dx.com/p/pc-cpu-cooling-fan-speed-controller-front-bay-mount-5986#.VvUreUWEqnM

where can i get a rheostat local?? i have everything to make a stir plate accept that.

Best bet would be dx.com or ebay (if you aren't in a hurry) but local computer shops may have fan speed controllers. Radio Shack used to carry rheostats back in the day, The Source might still but doubt it?

I may have an extra one on hand, I'll check when I get back.

I no longer use the cigar box stir plate if one of you want it ... I wouldn't leave it running unattended but it works fine.. Or you can just strip the parts out of it and build another. Would look to get $20 for it (that's what I have in it).

:cheers: