Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Refractometer  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
Refractometer
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:55:58 PM »
I just got my refractometer in the mail.  It has automatic temperature correction.  Anybody have experience with these?  Any advice, words of caution, etc?  I suppose I should be measuring gravity with a hydrometer as well until I have some confidence in this new toy.

Offline Ian Grant

• Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Refractometer
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »
There easy to use just a couple drops and bam there's your gravity.  For FG there is a formula to use can't  remember what the website is but I think it was on the morebeer site.   Alcohol causes it to have a false reading which the formula will correct.

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:58:51 PM »
The formula is also built into beertools, under the refractometer tab, you enter the current brix and the OG it gives you the current gravity corrected.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:47:50 AM »
good plan on using a hydrometer with the refractometer until you're comfortable with just the one.
I had a couple of questionable alcohol % calculations just using the refractometer, and I would have liked to have a hydrometer reading just to make sure.  I've since taken as accurate a measure with the refractometer as possible, no rounding up or down the numbers.  Confirmed with a hydrometer a couple of times and am good now.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »
It seems that BeerSmith also does the calculations for you.  Overall, I think it's going to be an improvement in my process.  No more wasting 4 oz of wort/beer for every gravity reading.

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »
You do have the option of not taking a gravity reading. Since I know my system fairly well, I was getting very accurate predictions of O.G. with the Beertools software, now I only bother checking gravity for attempted clones or really big beers. Otherwise its just another thing to wash and sanitize after a brewday.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »
I've only been brewing all-grain beer since September, and I've been making changes to my equipment (bigger kettle, changes to the mash tun, etc).  At this point, I still really want to know if I'm hitting the numbers I should be hitting.  A refractometer will make things easier for me.

Once I get better at my process, I'll probably start to slack on the measurements a bit.

Offline Dave Savoie

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »
my Hydrometer has been broken for many many months so I have no idea what my beers are as far as ABV
Charter Member