Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Keg Insulator  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
Keg Insulator
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »
Has anyone ever tried something like this?
http://www.keglove.com/

Looks like a big koozie but for a keg and claims it'll insulate beer for up to 24 hrs. Comes with an Ice blanket that fits between the keg and the insulator ... considering getting one. Thoughts?
President of the NBCBA

Offline Jmac00

• Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Keg Insulator
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:20:37 PM »
my thoughts??

I'm cheap as .... nevermind...anyways, i've priced them and they seem pricey. I've seen these ice cube bags somewhere, that you just fill with water...it disperses through the bag like littles rivers forming separate ice cubes...then you just pop off the cubes as you need em. They look the same as these ice blankets. Find cheap neoprene material, old wet suit? diving suit? and make your own perhaps....i'd eventually like to make one, but for now it'll just be a garbage bucket with water and ice.

here's the ice cube bags i'm talking about...
http://www.hiwtc.com/products/plastic-i ... 114868.htm

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »
I was just in Fundy with the girl, and wish I had one of these. First off, I needed to bring a bucket big enough to fit the keg (which I could barely squeeze into my car once it was full of all our other eqipment), and then I bought 4 bags of ice for like 10 bucks ... all it would take is 5 trips of not having to pay for ice and this would be paid for. Thought it was a pretty smart idea, assuming it actually works for up to 24 hours
President of the NBCBA

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 10:30:36 PM »
Frankly if it works I'd buy it - someone has to see if it can hold up to the local summer heat. If the thing can hold the temp down below 5C for 6 hours in 30C weather, I'd get it.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline Jmac00

• Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 10:33:17 PM »
last summer i brought a couple kegs for my buddie's stag......used a garbage bin, water, plus ice blocks. I took some ice cream and margarine containers....filled with water and let em freeze for a day.....repeat til you have a nice amount. These lasted much much longer than small ice cubes.  :mrgreen:

was left out all night...beer was still cold and ice floating in the morning.

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 04:55:53 PM »
never tried it, I highly reccomend a "Coleman Extreme" cooler. Mine keeps the keg inside icy for days even when its really hot out.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --