Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Going 10 gallon  (Read 2690 times)

Offline HappyHax0r

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Going 10 gallon
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Ok, so screw it, I've killed three freaking kegs of IPA/APA now in a lot less time than I thought I would. So I'm going to start doing 10 gallon batches.

Kyle, as I remember it we did 10 gallons at the mashoccur in my mash-tun correct?

It was a shit show, but we _did_ do it... right? :)
Primary: #1, 2, 3, 4 (Air, Air, Air, Air)
Kegs     #1, 2, 3, 4 (C02, C02, C02, C02)

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
Re: Going 10 gallon
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
with all the leaks, I think we ended up with about 8 gallons. :lol:  But yeah it can be done, also, coolers are readily available now that spring is coming, you could get a bigger one
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Offline HappyHax0r

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:22:51 PM »
Yeah, I could, but if I don't have to I'd rather not bother since I just did some mods to my tun :). Of course, I do have enough copper... hmmm...

That being said my main concern right now is how I'm going to lift the boil-kettle up from the floor out the house to the burner, and then back in for chilling... I may have to get a pump to go 10 gallon... hmmm.

Either way, I'm finding a way to go 10 gallon, this running out of IPA/APA at inopportune times (it always seems to be an inopportune time! Imagine!) has got to stop... or at least stop being so frequent. :).

Offline Ian Grant

• Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:29:07 PM »
Ya I started making 10 gal and didn't think about having to lift it until the time came.   Much heavier and awkward but managed to do it without dropping a load in my pants.

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 02:47:27 PM »
the greatbreweh pumps are a decent price. March or chugger pumps are better.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:07:07 AM »
Yeah I found I could lift a 10G batch in a keggle if I used a pulp hook under one side. Got it up to the bench so I could gravity feed through the CFC. Hard lift to be sure. I put in for a chugger pump for fathers day last year and haven't had to lift since!
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »
pumps really change how you brew and open up doors to more advanced techniques.  I don't know what I'd do without my pumps.  without them i'd have to have a 4 tier setup, with HLT at the top, followed by MT, kettle and finally fermenter at the bottom.  I couldn't recirculate, use a herms for temp control, etc....I especially couldn't make 15-20GAL batches without having 10 foot + ceilings and a stap ladder.

I'm still using one of those little greatbreweh pumps for most everything and it works great, especially for the price.  Just yesterday I pumped 20 gallons of hot wort through a 25' CFC, and about 20 feet of 1/4" hose.  It just chugged away with no problem.  Very impressed with how well it works for it's size.

Happy, I'll loan you one of my greatbreweh pumps to try out.  Use it for a couple of batches and you won't be able to live without one.

I'll bring it to the MashOccur for you if you want to try it.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline HappyHax0r

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »
Fakr, before I can even consider doing any of this i need to get the 15 gallon Sankey from Jake that I requested a while back, and buy a weldless bulkhead. It's unlikely that will happen before Mash-Occur, but thanks for the offer anyway. Maybe at a later time? :)

Offline HappyHax0r

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 11:11:13 PM »
Speaking of which, is it worth getting a sight glass also?