Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Electric Grain Mill  (Read 5708 times)

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
Electric Grain Mill
« on: June 27, 2015, 04:17:36 PM »
Latest project... I plan on adding an on/off switch, a reverse, and a wheels on it eventually.

It's made from junk lawnmower and clothes dryer parts. I had to get a few parts from Ebay but only have about $80 into it.  :rock:

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Re: Electric Grain Mill
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:53:58 AM »
That's awesome! What rpm does it spin at?
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:47:55 AM »
The motor is a regular 1/2hp, 1725rpm.
Pulley ratio is 1:6.67
Grain mill is running at approx. 258rpm
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 12:53:44 PM »
Looks awesome Pierre!

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
Finally got around to installing an on/off switch on this thing and wheels to move it around.   Reverse isn't going to be an option though.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 11:08:17 AM »
Looking good! That's too bad about reverse... a trick I've learned when my OBK mill stops pulling grain is to spin in reverse for a few seconds, then it will magically start working in forward. Can you spin the pulley in reverse by hand?
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 04:55:47 PM »
Finally got around to installing an on/off switch on this thing and wheels to move it around.   Reverse isn't going to be an option though.

Can you access the belt? If yes than if you put your belt on in a figure eight it'll rotate the opposite way.

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »
Can you access the belt? If yes than if you put your belt on in a figure eight it'll rotate the opposite way.

Not really, the pillow blocks and motor are bolted down with the belt very tight so it wouldn't be easy.
When it starts to freeroll, I power off the motor and reverse the pulley manually then jam a paint stir stick in to wedge some grains in the rollers... It usually starts milling again.

If I had to make another one, I'd def start with a better mill that has a 1/2" shaft.

I'd probably use this motor instead since it's already wired and has the correct RPM:

GEARMOTOR - About 80 USD
HOLLOW OUTPUT SHAFT SO IT CAN BE USED FOR AN AXLE THROUGH
OUTPUT IS 190-200 RPM
0.2 HP APROX (150 WATTS)
Uses 12V DC

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 05:11:23 PM »
Yea DC motors are great because you can adjust the RPM's without loosing horse power and you can reverse the direction as well. But there much more expensive and you usually need a control panel to make them work properly. I used to use the figure eight trick on my lathe before I switched to a motor that would work either way with the use of a toggle switch. It's an AC motor but I got a little help from one of my old high school teachers who's a genius when it comes to motors and building machines. I wish I new exactly how he did it but he rewired it somehow. It works great now...