Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cooler mash tun equipment - 16ga wire  (Read 5063 times)

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
Cooler mash tun equipment - 16ga wire
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »
According to the list in the link below I picked up everything I need to convert my cooler to a mash tun today.  Except for the 16ga wire. At HD they only had 48ga lead free soldering wire, or insulated braided wire. Has anyone else had trouble locating this wire for the DIY mash tun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftY_HZAFJFc

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
Re: Cooler mash tun equipment - 16ga wire
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »
2 things.

1. Use copper wire.  It's super cheap, and it's fine in your tun.  HD caries a 14 (I think) gauge wire that you can use.  It's got a green sheathing and is sold by the metre.  It's used when running power through conduit.  Cheaper than 14/2, I guess.  That's what I used to make my braid.

2. There's no need to use the T.  Since you're using a braid, you're going to have to batch sparge.  All you really need is about 6-8" of that braid to do the job.  Anything longer is just going to get in the way when you stir your mash.  Mine is about 10", I think. 

3. If you got the normal sink/toilet water supply line (and make sure it's stainless, not the plastic that looks like stainless), you don't even need the wire for support.  I used one like that for a couple years with no issue.  If you use the 3/4" hot water supply line, I'd get the wire for the braid.

Hope that helps.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »
Thanks Chris, that does help. I'll go back tomorrow to check for the 14ga copper. Thanks for the tip about losing the T, if it will make things easier I'm all for it. The supply line I purchased was the one listed in the video. 3/4" dishwasher line. I did get SS. Should I return this one for a sink/toilet supply line?

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
No, that'll do just fine.  I use the same kind.  I had trouble with a stuck sparge though.  My braid was too tightly woven.  I had to buy another one and stretch it out.

The holes in the cross braids don't have to be too tiny.  They can be 3 or 4 mm and it'll work just fine. Cut the line so that it's only about 1/2 - 2/3 the length of your tun. Then, remove the tubing.  You can't really do it the other way around.  If the braid looks too tight, just stretch it a bit at a time until you can see light through it.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 07:10:24 AM »
I may return the dishwasher line and get the sink line instead. I have to go to HD anyways and the only length they had in the dishwasher line was 72". Now that I only need about 10" it seems like a lot of waste.

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 07:15:54 AM »
Ask for a hot water heater line.  They're not in the same place.  They come as short as 10".  Your choice of course.  They'll both work just fine.

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »
Yeah I use a sink / toilet supply line and I dont have wire in the middle - never had a stuck sparge yet!
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 10:15:45 AM »
I have one of those bazooka screens if you want it
President of the NBCBA

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
That would be great @Jake how much did you want for it?

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »
Don't worry about it. I have an extra that doesn't get used. Pay it forward some day down the road. You can pick it up whenever whether over the weekend, or I can give it to you at up upcoming meeting.
President of the NBCBA

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 08:41:06 AM »
Thanks @Jake, I really appreciate it. I can get it from you at the next meeting. I know you're busy with the new house.