Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Camlocks  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Camlocks
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »
What is everyone using for hose fittings? I'm trying to rig up a pump and plate chiller, and want to do it right. But right is damn expensive, haha. Both OBK and Everwood are charging about $80 for the fittings I need, which are 4 "A" fittings, 6 "C", and 1 "F" plus hoses, gaskets etc.

I also saw that aluminum camlocks are much cheaper, as available from Pro Flow... but I know the consensus is that you "shouldn't" use Oxyclean/PBW on aluminum.  http://store.proflowdynamics.com/modules/store/-Aluminum-Camlock-Couplings_C69.cfm

I also thought I'd just put barbed fittings on everything, and just slide the hoses on and off the barb and use a spring clamp or something that's easily secured.

Anyway, I'm not opposed to spending the $100 (shipped) to get the right fittings if they are really worth it, but if anyone can share their experiences with alternate options it would be greatly appreciated.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
Re: Camlocks
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:06:38 AM »
Camlocks are great. Most of the people in the club use them - meaning you can interface borrowed equipment easily at events. Also, they are very cheap compared to the other high-quality options; namely Q-Ds and Triclamps. The stainless Camlocks are something you buy once, and you're good to go. P.S. they've actually come down in price considerably in the last year or so.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:23:50 AM »
What is everyone using for hose fittings? I'm trying to rig up a pump and plate chiller, and want to do it right. But right is damn expensive, haha. Both OBK and Everwood are charging about $80 for the fittings I need, which are 4 "A" fittings, 6 "C", and 1 "F" plus hoses, gaskets etc.

I also saw that aluminum camlocks are much cheaper, as available from Pro Flow... but I know the consensus is that you "shouldn't" use Oxyclean/PBW on aluminum.  http://store.proflowdynamics.com/modules/store/-Aluminum-Camlock-Couplings_C69.cfm

I also thought I'd just put barbed fittings on everything, and just slide the hoses on and off the barb and use a spring clamp or something that's easily secured.

Anyway, I'm not opposed to spending the $100 (shipped) to get the right fittings if they are really worth it, but if anyone can share their experiences with alternate options it would be greatly appreciated.

Same site, these are the ones to get...

http://store.proflowdynamics.com/modules/store/1-2-Camlock-Fittings-_C37350.cfm

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 11:49:31 AM »
Camlocks are great. Most of the people in the club use them - meaning you can interface borrowed equipment easily at events. Also, they are very cheap compared to the other high-quality options; namely Q-Ds and Triclamps. The stainless Camlocks are something you buy once, and you're good to go. P.S. they've actually come down in price considerably in the last year or so.

Yes, they are worth it.
Get camlocks, you're going to end up getting some eventually so just get them now and have it done with.

I have a few extra camlocks kicking around at my place. PM me if you're interested.
However, I don't know how much of the silicone tubing I have.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »
Thanks JQ, that's not really any cheaper so I'll likely give the business to Dave at Everwood.

As far as gaskets go, I assume it's one per connection? or is it one per fitting?
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 12:04:54 PM »
I have 4 C-Type camlocks w/gaskets you can have for $20 total.  You want those on the hoses, then A-Type on your pump in/out, and F on your valves.

Yeah, they're expensive, but they're a 1 time buy.

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »
Actually, I have a 5th.  Type D.  You'll need a close nipple.  $25 for all of them, and I'll throw in a chrome-plated brass valve.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »
Deal Chris... see you at the meeting. Between you and Pliny I might be covered here.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
Yeah, they're expensive, but they're a 1 time buy.

I read a great article by John Blichmann...
Buy once, Cry once
is his mantra,

Very true with camlocks.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 08:42:54 AM »
Ok, after my first brew day with the camlocks set up, I can say they are worth every penny.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er