Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: In the market for a larger brew kettle  (Read 3066 times)

Offline DanJ

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
In the market for a larger brew kettle
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »
Well, my wife hit the mark with the 14 gallon Chronical (Brewmaster Edition see link below) from SS Brewtech as my Xmas gift, however I only have an 8 gallon kettle and will need to upgrade to a much larger kettle to maximize the useful ness of this large fermenter.  I have a 15.5 gallon Sanke keg at home that I could modify to use as a kettle, however I thought I'd check here first to see if there are any kettles in the 16-20 gallons range for sale.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/chronicle-bme/products/chronical-14-gal-fermenter-brewmaster-edition-1

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
Re: In the market for a larger brew kettle
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »
I have a kettle similar to this one that I am no longer using if you are interested.
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/16_Gallon_Stainless_Steel_Advanced_Brew_Kettle_p/brew-kettle-16gal-advanced.htm
Lee

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 04:41:55 PM »
Well, my wife hit the mark with the 14 gallon Chronical (Brewmaster Edition see link below) from SS Brewtech as my Xmas gift, however I only have an 8 gallon kettle and will need to upgrade to a much larger kettle to maximize the useful ness of this large fermenter.  I have a 15.5 gallon Sanke keg at home that I could modify to use as a kettle, however I thought I'd check here first to see if there are any kettles in the 16-20 gallons range for sale.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/chronicle-bme/products/chronical-14-gal-fermenter-brewmaster-edition-1

That wife is a keeper. :D

Was it the fermenter that was for sale on kijiji recently? I think there was a fella from Grand Bay or somewhere selling his.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:07:50 AM »
Those kettles like Shazapple posted are great. Really good price, and the ports are already installed. Keggles look great, but there's a lot of weight to them for cleaning. Cutting the top and punching holes is also a pain.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »
Those kettles like Shazapple posted are great. Really good price, and the ports are already installed. Keggles look great, but there's a lot of weight to them for cleaning. Cutting the top and punching holes is also a pain.

Agreed thats why i sold the keggle i made it was way to heavy for moving around
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:44:53 PM by mikegraham »

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »
I actually like my keggles. Not just because I think they look nice. But they hold my mash temperature due to the extra weight from the extra thermal mass. It does take some extra time to get my strike water hot but I don't mind it. Also I hardly ever move them around. All the cleaning is done in place. I'd probably be singing a different toon if I had to move them around a lot.

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 12:59:28 PM »
I like my keggles as well - I do move my boil kettle to the washroom to clean it out but its not that bad, plus kegs are easier to come by than 58L SS pots so it was way less expensive for me. I have a 50L aluminum pot I use if I have to travel for a mash occur or something...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now