Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: first brew  (Read 13848 times)

Offline Scott

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
first brew
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:45:35 PM »
Hey Folks,
I did my first all grain on Thursday 17th. Its a bitter, I got the recipe from a book. It started fermenting right away and is still blurping away. My concern is that it is very muddy looking, its a light tan colour and is pretty much opaque. Is this normal? If not is there anything I can or should do?

Offline Al-Loves-Wine

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 194
Re: first brew
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »
Yup, thats quite normal while your yeast is still flocculent and fermenting. It will eventually clear on its own as the yeast drops out. If you do secondary, you'll be able see it clear after you transfer when the ferment is finished. If not, it should still clear up alright in primary if left for a reasonable amount of time. Its hard to be patient when you first start brewing. :D

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:42:37 PM »
Nice! What's your system like?

I find beer in the carboy is always a lot darker and opaque than when in the glass.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
I second Al. Very normal to be opaque this early in the game
President of the NBCBA

Offline Scott

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »
thanks for all the replies...I guess I was just being a bit of a mother hen. I take the towel off the carboy about every hour and look at it.
As for my set up, I have an 8 gallon kettle from OKB, I built my mash tun out of a coleman cooler with 1/2 copper pipe for a manifold. The wort chiller I made from 50' of 3/8 copper tube. A member of this forum that works at Eddy helped me with that, but I cannot remember his name unfortunately. We have a propane stove in our kitchen and its a bit under power for boiling that much. It took almost an hour to get up to boil and then it wasn't a great boil. thanks again and I look forward to getting to a monthly meeting.
Next brew is going to be an IPA. Any recipe recommendations would be great.