Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hoppy Porter: Round Two  (Read 6649 times)

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
Hoppy Porter: Round Two
« on: June 24, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »
10lbs 2-row
2lbs wheat malt
1lb crystal 110
1lb crystal 150
1lb chocolate malt
4oz roasted barley

2oz Northern Brewer @ 60
1oz Fuggles @ 15

dry-hop 1oz Fuggles for 1 week.

S-05
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: Hoppy Porter: Round Two
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:13:40 PM »
Just moved mine into a keg to secondary it in Stainless, added some Willamette for dry hopping instead of the Fuggle.  Since the AA on the Willamette are a little lower than Fuggle, I wasn't certain, so I doubled it to 2 oz  :twisted:

I have a hop screen that I got for the bottom of the dip tube, so I'm going to leave the Hops in there right to the end of the keg, just for S's and G's.

Waited a couple of hours and dispensed a couple of ounces to have a taste and it is very yummy indeed.  I expect that in a couple of weeks it might be outstanding...Thanks RB

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »
Quote from: "JohnQ"
I have a hop screen that I got for the bottom of the dip tube, so I'm going to leave the Hops in there right to the end of the keg, just for S's and G's.

I heard from somewhere (I forget) that leaving dry-hops in past 2 weeks can lead to tannin extraction and/or "grassy flavours" (chlorophyll extraction would be my guess). Then again I've heard of others leaving piles of hops in there til the end of the keg and not complain.

Guess what I'm trying to say is - it might be awesome, or you might have grassy beer after a couple of weeks. On the other hand if it works ok I'll be doing this myself for future IPAs in kegs, so feel free to blaze that trail yourself ;)

I almost stuck a single whole hop cone in each of the bottles I just ran off for IPA, but scared myself away with the grassy thing... Shoulda done the science thing and just done about 5 of them that way. D'oh!

You're always welcome bud.  :party:
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
Well, 8 weeks later the keg is finally extinguished...
No grass that I could detect, but then I'm not much good at that part.
Only thing I did was move it from cellar to chiller at week 6.
All in all, damn fine beer...gotta get the replacement started, and from now on put it on an 8 week rotation with a 4 week gap at start.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples