Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Zythos/Mosaic Amber Rye IPA  (Read 4650 times)

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Zythos/Mosaic Amber Rye IPA
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:19:45 AM »
First contribution to the recipes here, I know, an extract recipe, but I am still happy with the process and the results from what I am doing so far, so why mess with a good thing.

Up until this point, I have only been brewing the pre-made extract kits from places like OBK, and one from the US, maybe changing up a hop, or using a different yeast then intended for the brew, liquid instead of dry, etc, etc. But this one was the first I made up myself. I did seek some minor help from Grimross, wanting to know what percentage of Rye he used in his, and he was nice enough to get back to me on that.

So, here it is:

5 Gal Batch

Steeping grains

2lbs Rye Malt
1lb Crystal 60

Malt

6lbs of Gold LME
3lbs of Amber LME

Hops

1oz of Zythos @60min
1oz of Zythos @15min
1oz of Mosaic @5min
1oz of Mosaic @Flameout
1oz of Zythos @Flameout

2oz of Mosaic - Dryhop 7days
1oz of Zythos - Dryhop 7days

WLP001 California Yeast

OG 1.075 (Beer Smith estimated 1.063), so if it ferments out fully, it is going to be a little higher on the ABV then estimated (est. 6.3%) so if my OG reading was correct, then it is going to push it to 8.6%

Est. IBUs, 65.6

I was very surprised by the smell of the Mosaic hop pellets, kind of had a light Simcoe vibe to it with the cat pee smell, but lots of tropical as well, but now reading up on Mosaic a bit more, it is a first daughter of Simcoe, so the familiar Simcoe smell makes sense.

Now the hard part....the waiting game!!!

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Re: Zythos/Mosaic Amber Rye IPA
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:07:30 AM »
Nice, thanks for contributing!

What did you think of the zythos? I was underwhelmed by the flavour and aroma when I used them in a single hop APA
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
To my nose, the pellet had lots of citrus and other tropical flavors to it, actually more so than the mosaic did as I found it predominantly smelled like a simcoe light hop.

Guess I will find out once it is ready.

I think I am going to do a couple of APAs with the rest of the Zythos and Mosaic, as I bought a pound of each, and only using about 4oz of each in this brew.

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:43:06 AM »
IMO, Zythos is like a “super cascade”.  Really nice hop (and so is mosaic)

Offline Scott

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »
We just did a single hop zythos IPA last night, I'll get some to a meeting sometime down the road.