Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Good Day to Die PA, MO 2013 Edition  (Read 13107 times)

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
A Good Day to Die PA, MO 2013 Edition
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:40:55 PM »
Hey all, by request...
Here is the 5 Gallon recipe for the next barrel project.

The deal is, brew it at the MashOccur on the 30th, it stays at my place to ferment under pressure in the Brewhemoths.
When they are done, they will be racked into the Barrel which will be pre-seasoned with a good Single Malt as yet to be determined.  After 3 weeks, I'll add the dry hopping to the barrel.  A week later, we empty the barrel.

I won't be brewing at the Mash Occur, instead I'll brew the next day and make up what's needed to fill the barrel.

Let me know if you're in, and post here if you're shy of any ingredients, we can find it all I'm sure.
I have enough hops for sure on everything except the Amarillo.

I have in the Recipe, 1 packet of S05, but wondering if double pitching might be a good idea?

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5 lbs                 Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        27.8 %       
5 lbs                 Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)         Grain         2        27.8 %       
2 lbs 8.0 oz          Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         3        13.9 %       
2 lbs                 Carafoam (2.0 SRM)                       Grain         4        11.1 %       
2 lbs                 Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    Grain         5        11.1 %       
1 lbs 8.0 oz          White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)               Grain         6        8.3 %         
0.60 oz               Magnum [12.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           7        21.9 IBUs     
0.40 oz               Cascade [6.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           8        6.8 IBUs     
0.33 oz               Palisade [8.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min  Hop           9        7.5 IBUs     
0.60 oz               Centennial [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min     Hop           10       14.7 IBUs     
0.60 oz               Chinook [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           11       16.2 IBUs     
0.60 oz               Magnum [12.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           12       19.9 IBUs     
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        13       -             
1.20 oz               Centennial [10.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min     Hop           14       10.7 IBUs     
0.90 oz               Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           15       5.0 IBUs     
0.70 oz               Palisade [8.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           16       5.2 IBUs     
1.20 oz               Centennial [10.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 m Hop           17       0.0 IBUs     
0.80 oz               Cascade [6.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min   Hop           18       0.0 IBUs     
0.66 oz               Palisade [8.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min  Hop           19       0.0 IBUs     
2.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         20       -             
2.22 oz               Centennial [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop           21       0.0 IBUs     
1.67 oz               Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Da Hop           22       0.0 IBUs     
1.11 oz               Palisade [8.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days    Hop           23       0.0 IBUs     

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 18 lbs
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 23.50 qt of water at 167.7 F        156.0 F       45 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.28gal, 4.00gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:

March 9 edit:

Modified the grain bill a little to boost the og a bit.  In my notes, I had great effeciency on the original recipe and since we can't count on that consistantly, I've tweaked it a tiny bit so that 72% efficiency will result in an og of 1.092. Also doubled the yeast although with 15-18 gallons per fermenter not sure it would need to be 6 packets in each. Maybe someone with the yeast magic books could see what the requirement would be.

March 22nd Edit

Due to a shortage in Amarillo, we've modified the recipe to use a Cascade/Palisade blend in it's place everywhere except the Dry Hopping.

JQ
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:51:57 AM by Chris Craig »
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Offline Fhilo

• Vice President
  • NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • BBQ, Beer, Biking and Home Theater...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 149
Re: A Good Day to Die PA, MO 2013 Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 12:59:35 AM »
In...

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 08:11:35 AM »
March 9 edit:

Modified the grain bill a little to boost the og a bit. In my notes, I had great effeciency on the original recipe and since we can't count on that consistantly, I've tweaked it a tiny bit so that 72% efficiency will result in an og of 1.092. Also doubled the yeast although with 15-18 gallons per fermenter not sure it would need to be 6 packets in each. Maybe someone with the yeast magic books could see what the requirement would be.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »
So after some research, I've found that the consensus among the pros is that 180F for 30 mins is good to kill anything of concern, so got it to 190...
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 01:25:31 PM »
left if for an hour, came back and the thermo was reading 201, the outside was hot, laser thermo said the outside was over 140.
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:27:52 PM »
It's now bunged and cooling.
Tomorrow, going to use the scope to make sure everything visible has been removed. If not, then another wash and then fill with cold water.

Following the system used by one of the pros I found online, I figure I'll repeat the steam process the day before filling, immediately fill with cold water and leave overnight.  In the morning empty and dump in a litre of whisky, and fill it up.

JQ
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »
Hey Senior, did you let it cool a bit before bunging it?  I'd hate to see the barrel implode, or suck the bung straight through the hole with the vaccuum created!

Ever see a 55Gal barrel implode from rapid cooling when it's hot and sealed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy-SN5j1ogk
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
And boy would that steamer ever do a good job of flash sanitizing a brewhemoth before filling!  Where did you get that Senior?
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »
Quote from: "fakr"
And boy would that steamer ever do a good job of flash sanitizing a brewhemoth before filling!  Where did you get that Senior?

It's a suit steamer we got from Costco, not sure if they're still carrying them or not.

Removed all the heads and the suit stand from it and Voila.

JQ
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 08:55:41 AM »
Having enjoyed a few of the Bourbon County Stouts in the past few days, I'm wondering what folks would think about spiking the barrel with JD instead of a single malt?

JQ
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:25 AM »
It would be cheaper  :D

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 09:31:43 AM »
Yeah, half the price of the my Single Malt choice, which was Aberlour A'bunadh.

What got me thinking about using JD was the posts I've read on pro-brewer about keeping a barrel healthy, and of course, Bourbon is the preferred addition.
After having the Bourbon County, I got to thinking... A 1.14 of JD is only $45 and has about the same alcohol content as a 750 of A'bunadh.

A'bunadh is my absolute favourite  non-smoked whisky.  Each batch is a little different, and it is aged in Sherry Butts only, so quite different than the Talisker.

Here are the tasting notes on A'bunadh...

A’bunadh, Gaelic for ‘of the origin’, is matured exclusively in Oloroso ex-sherry butts. It is a natural cask-strength malt whisky produced without the use of modern-day chill filtering methods or the addition of water.

Colour
Deep, rich amber

Nose
Aromas of mixed spices, praline and spiced orange harmonising with rich, deep notes of Oloroso sherry

Palate
Orange, black cherries, dried fruit and ginger spiked with dark bitter chocolate and enriched with sherry and oak. Full bodied and creamy

Finish
Robust and intense with bitter-sweet notes of exotic spices, dark chocolate and oak

JQ
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
Head Count...

So far I think we have,

fakr and i in for 20 gallons.
Fhilo in for 5 gallons.
brew in for 5 gallons.

anyone else in?

JQ
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Offline Fhilo

• Vice President
  • NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • BBQ, Beer, Biking and Home Theater...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 11:19:06 AM »
Mmmm bourbon, now we're talking my stuff!! If you're gonna go JD, the single barrel is quite good and is 46%. Also Jim Beam black is fantastic, with a hint of char at 43% (also great for cooking!) and exponentially better than the white.
Another good one is Eagle Rare (lighter taste, smooth, but still 46%) or Knob Creek 9 /  Maker's 9 are nice as well

just some thoughts

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
Dude. Scotch ain't Bourbon :P

You say Whiskey I say Whisky.

Never speak of this again.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.