Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Very Wet and Hoppy Porter  (Read 7966 times)

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
A Very Wet and Hoppy Porter
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »
The first brew in the new brewery sitting in the brewhemoth...

Hit 84 percent mash efficiency, so ended up with an OG of 1.071
Ignore the IBU's, can't be even close to that high, though I'd be ok if it were!

Used up all of the hops we grew last year in one go.

Recipe: A Wet and Hoppy Porter
Brewer: JQ Brew
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 19.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 18.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 18.00 gal  
Bottling Volume: 18.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 41.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 136.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU        
18 lbs                Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        42.4 %        
12 lbs                Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)         Grain         2        28.2 %        
6 lbs                 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)   Grain         3        14.1 %        
3 lbs                 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)    Grain         4        7.1 %        
2 lbs                 Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM)  Grain         5        4.7 %        
1 lbs 8.0 oz          Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)               Grain         6        3.5 %        
4.00 oz               Nugget Pellet [13.00 %] - First Wort 60. Hop           7        52.1 IBUs    
4.00 oz               Nugget Pellet [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min  Hop           8        47.4 IBUs    
26.00 oz              Wet Nugget [2.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min      Hop           9        28.7 IBUs    
12.50 oz              Wet Cascade [1.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min     Hop           10       5.6 IBUs      
2.50 oz               Wet Magnum [2.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min      Hop           11       2.8 IBUs      
7.00 oz               Wet Willamette [1.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min   Hop           12       0.0 IBUs      
5.00 oz               Wet Fuggle [0.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min       Hop           13       0.0 IBUs      
4.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         14       -            

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 42 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time    
Protein Rest      Add 55.13 qt of water at 131.6 F        122.0 F       30 min        
Saccharification  Heat to 156.0 F over 15 min             156.0 F       30 min        
Mash Out          Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min             168.0 F       10 min        

Sparge: Fly sparge with 11.54 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Offline jeffsmith

• Junior Poster
    • http://jeffsmith.me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Very Wet and Hoppy Porter
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
I'm interested to hear how this turns out for you. I've got a few pounds of home grown Columbus, Cascade, and Centennial I need to clear out of my hops freezer.

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »
It will be on full flow at the Mash Occur, try and make it over!

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »
Wow!  That's a crazy amount of hops!  Going to be an interesting beer, looking forward to trying it!
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:29:56 AM »
The 53 ounces of Wet hops have a rough equivalent of 9-10 ounces of dried hops so not really as crazy as it appears, though it does equate to a total of a bit over a pound including the half pound of Nugget pellet split over FWH and start of the boil.

The Wet Nugget, Cascade and Magnum were added a handful at a time starting at 20 down to 0.
JQ
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 08:01:26 AM »
yeah, I suppose, and it's in 18GAL.  Still going to be pretty hoppy!
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
I've yet to be particularly impressed by anything wet-hopped, commercial and otherwise. Generally speaking, the vegetative flavours are way out of balance imho. I'd be interested to give this a try to see if it breaks that streak.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:34:12 PM »
Quote from: "Richard"
I've yet to be particularly impressed by anything wet-hopped, commercial and otherwise. Generally speaking, the vegetative flavours are way out of balance imho. I'd be interested to give this a try to see if it breaks that streak.

Yeah, I've read that, and most of what I've read has suggested if you use dried hops for bittering, and don't add any wet hops until the last 20 mins or so, it really reduces the grassy overtones.
That's why I chose to use regular Nugget for FWH and 60 mins then spaced all of the wet ones out across the last 20.

I'm hoping it'll work, and the sip out of the sample port this morning certainly wasn't grassy, but I'll see in a couple of days.

Might still dry hop with Chinook for one keg, Palisade for another and something else for the third keg.

JQ
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »
i also read to add the wet hops towards flame out

I made a pale ale last summer with 8 oz wet cascade at flame out and it was probably one of my favorite beers ive made